Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card Does Not Work

• Please log in to reply

eronin36

eronin36

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am a bed ridden terminal cancer patient and my computer is my only companion. Last week I won a $1,500 shopping trip at a local computer supply. I purchased a Sony Vaio computer, but found many of the games I pass time playing, would not play on my unit. I decided on a GeForce FX 5200 series video care, mainly because it was only $100 and it was 9.0c compliant. I managed to get the card installed. It was a no brainer, since the computer only had one slot the card would fit into. Unfortunately, after installation, I connected the monitor cord, and only got a black screen. This is my forth computer in the past 15 years, and my 3 video card installation. I checked the manufactures web site and could find nothing about cards that did not work, or even about installation. The instructions says to remove any old video cards, but I see nothing that looks like a video card. The only card in the computer, had a telephone jack attached, but this did nothing when I removed it, so I reinstalled this card. I would really appreciate learning what I am doing incorrectly. Like I said, after my wife goes to work in the mornings, the computer is all that I have to help me keep my sanity. Other than the video card not working, the computer works beautifully. I am certain there is nothing wrong with my computer. :tazz: ;)

Thank you, Mike

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You've obviously got an integrated video card in your system, which is why you can't find it. If you look at the back of the computer case, where the monitor plugs in, you should notice that it is located on the same strip as the keyboard/mouse/USB etc ports.

Systems with integrated video will work with an 'external' card. If your system only has one slot that the geforce card fits, then its probably an AGP card, which should be fine.

I suggest you hook the pc back up to the original video port (remove the new card for now). Start the system & go into the bios. In there look for a setting that specifies which video adapter to boot from. (Often something like : 'primary video adapter' etc. It should have 2 options : onboard or AGP) Set this to agp, save & exit the bios. Turn system off & reinstall the new card. (Make sure the monitor is connected to the new card this time). Try & boot up again.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi Mike

Couldn't find an email address for you so I'm having to reply via the forum.
In answer to your question, on most motherboards, the DEL key will get you into the bios. Just press this repeatedly after you turn the power on.

However as you have a Sony Vaio, chances are it won't be the del key. Try F1 or F2 or F3 instead. I'm fairly certain its gonna be F2 or F3 but no guarantee. Again, pick a key & just press it repeatedly. If computer doesn't go into bios & starts to boot windows, restart machine & pick a different key.

If none of these work, then other common keys are ESC or F10.

Let me know how you get on