Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Charging for a website design

• Please log in to reply

stuartie_b

stuartie_b

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi was wondering how much the average price is for an html website design of a site no larger than 8 pages and is for a company. I'm currently designing a site of this spec for a friends company, i want to give him a good price, but I also want a reasonable amount of money for my work. This is also my first project as a professional website designer. How much do you think i should charge? thanks.

Edited by stuartie_b, 13 October 2007 - 05:47 AM.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I usually base an estimate off of how much time I expect to put into a project. For example: X hours times my rate = estimate. Don't forget to add in any expenses you will have to the figure.
Johanna

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
One site's rates. Another site's rates.

Google for more.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 13 October 2007 - 12:13 PM.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Like Johanna, I also charge an hourly rate, rather than a per-page rate. Per page can stick you if you end up doing a bunch of custom images or something. That way if someone wants custom code, I can charge properly.

To give an estimate tho, you need experience. You need to know approximately how long it takes you to create a page, and how many pages there are in the site.

For new customers, I do have a "startup special". I do something like 6 hours at a discounted price to get the site up and running. Then I charge the normal fee after those hours are up.

Chill-Gamer

Chill-Gamer

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
i charge a price of 250$ for something like: Removed link to commercial website
and for more work 500$..

stuartie_b

stuartie_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
thanks guys, thats given me a good idea

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP

and for more work 500$..

Must be nice to make that kind of money. I don't think Ive gotten that much for anything Ive done. Maybe over the course of a couple years for maintenance.

Chill-Gamer

Chill-Gamer

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

and for more work 500$..

Must be nice to make that kind of money. I don't think Ive gotten that much for anything Ive done. Maybe over the course of a couple years for maintenance.

well, i dont have a job that often, once in the 3 months or summin' but it's nice to get a lot of money in not much time :)

stuartie_b

stuartie_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
i don't think the price you're charging is too much Chill-Gamer, i did some research on google, and one design company has prices starting at £595 (roughly $1200!) for a small site.

Chill-Gamer

Chill-Gamer

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
yeah i know.. here in the netherlands they START at 2000$.. and im still a student, so it's nice to earn some money, and im not like a professional designer.. so i think it's not that much :) :)