Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random shut down after start up

• Please log in to reply

JMG

JMG

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
My computer is HP533c, monitor Dell 15" flat panel, operating system Windows XP. 60G 512 MB mem.

Computer is inoperable. It began with the monitor shutting down and CPU frozen with a green light lit at the hp cd writer. While I could initial do a hard shut down and reboot (tried removing some programs to free up some memory), it progressed to more frequent black outs and now will not stay on at all.

I run spyware, adaware, window washer, spybot and norton regularily. I'm have FIOS and use MSN Premium as browser. MSN instant messenger recently upgraded. I don't use messsener, but you have to download the upgrade to continue using MSN premium.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Many Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Sounds like a power supply issue. Since HP use Bestec power supplies, this could also be a motherboard issue (Bestec power supplies are known to start cooking motherboards after about three years of use and eventually the board just dies). How old is your computer?

JMG

JMG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
It's probably at least 3 years old. How is the issue remedied?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If the machine is displaying no signs of power at all, a new power supply is needed.
Otherwise a new motherboard and a new power supply may be needed.