Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MSGSRV32

• Please log in to reply

sue61

sue61

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey
Recently I've had problems with the computer, in that it opens up ok, but then that's it. When you log onto the internet, it will open the home page then freeze. Plugged in my memory key, and the icon that appears in the bottom right of the screen to allow you to eject the key doesn't appear, and when you click my computer, it opens, but then freezes when you click removable disk. When you hit ctrl-alt-del, a box pops up saying Msgsrv32(not responding). When you end task on that, it then goes through every other program on the desk top, saying not responding. I've treid running adaware, spybot, the whole works, they've done their job, but made little or no difference. We have Norton anti - virus, but that just won't open. A box pops up when you try to run Norton saying "Norton has caused an error in...Norton will now close"(Sorry can't remember the exact file). However this has never been a particular problem.

Could anyone please, please help me????I can't use the computer for anything! :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
have you visited windows update and installed KB891711?

If so, remove it

sue61

sue61

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
:tazz: No I haven't done anything new at all lately with it. I tried finding something that might help on the microsoft site, but there wasn't anything. I just spotted a post on this site, by irishredlr, an older one, titled "msgsrv32 not responding". It describes the exact same problem that I have, would it be any help to follow the instructions given in the replies for that? Thanks for your help, btw.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Probably---if you could point me to that post, I could say for sure.

Msgsrv32 is a process within windows that performs background processes. The problem you are having is not msgsvr32, but something that process is trying to do.

sue61

sue61

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
:tazz: em, not exactly sure how to direct you to the topic. It's shown at the bottom of the screen where this thread is, under "similar threads". From May 7 2004, "msgsrv32 not responding", author Irishredlr. There's a possibility that the internet itself may be a problem, our service provider has been installing broadband in our neighbourhood lately, and disconnected then reconnected everything. We didn't get broadband, but it appears to have affected everyone. Would that have anything to do with it?And if you had any thoughts on the subject of Norton Antivirus, and the fact that it just won't run on the system,that would be fantastic.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
No, it wouldn't.

think of msgsvr as a dispatch officer for a police department who tells police officers to go here and there and do this and that. Now, the dispatcher has an officer he/she wants to send to a house to respond to a burglary, but the officer is sitting beneath a high power electrical wire so he cannot be contacted.

The dispatcher knows the officer is there, but cannot get a hold of him, and keeps trying and trying and trying while other calls back up....

that is what is happening here. the not responding means the msgsvr cannot get a hold of something else bcause he/she is busy with another thing.

We need to clear the underlying problem, which can be several things.

The thread you referenced refers to a case where the person was infected with malware and that was preventing the msgsvr from getting info to a windows service.

So, yes.

Go to the thread in my signature, follow the instructions at the top. If that does not clear it up, come back here