Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! problem opening control panel

• Please log in to reply

NO TEARS IN THA END

NO TEARS IN THA END

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
help! i receive and error when i go to open the control panel. heres a pic of the error i recieve.

Posted Image

incase that picture blows: it says "the instruction at "0x7c9eac10" referenced memory at"0x00000000" The memory could not be "read"

not sure why it is happening, and i cant find that error by searching. please help! thanks in advance.

Edited by NO TEARS IN THA END, 13 October 2007 - 03:55 PM.

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello No tears,

This is a more difficult problem and will require a bit of research. Are you still experiencing this problem?

Does the problem happen in safe mode?

While starting your computer tap the F8 key once every second during the memory count up, or during the system spash screen where you see the system maker's name (HP, COMPAQ, DELL....etc.)

This will result in a text based menu. Use the cursors/arrow keys to navigate to SAFE MODE and hit enter.

Does the problem occur in safe mode?

NO TEARS IN THA END

NO TEARS IN THA END

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
no, the control panel works fine in safe mode. but it still does not work in regular system start up. any idea what to do next. not sure if u need a HJT log or not osim not going to post one

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
What happens when you press OK?

Relemar

Relemar

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I had this prob before, I did a repair install - all was fine.

NO TEARS IN THA END

NO TEARS IN THA END

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
the same thing happens when i press ok or cancel-it just closes the box and still doesn't open control panel. ye i don't have the install discs anymore. and i'd rather not have to do that.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Can you press CTRL+Alt+Del and get the task manager.

Press CTRL+ALT+DEL.
Click on file.
Click on newtask

At the prompt type sfc /scannow Please note that there is a single space between sfc and /scannow.

Typing this will start the program, and a box should appear telling you how much longer the process should take.

Sometimes the scan will prompt you for your Windows XP disc upon starting the scan. if this happens please make sure that you can view protected files:My Computer
Tools
Folder Options
View
"Uncheck" Hide protected operating system files.
Then rerun the scan. If this still asks you to put in your windows XP CD, and you do not have the CD (If you bought it preinstalled) post back for more tips, otherwise enter Windows CD.

Once the scan is complete:

Check your Windows Updates! After using the File Protection Service, you might need to reapply some updates.

Please reboot, and let me know if anything has changed.

Also, please rehide the protected files:My Computer
Tools
Folder Options
View
"Check" Hide protected operating system files.

NO TEARS IN THA END

NO TEARS IN THA END

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
ok now the control panel opens up for a second and then the error pops up before the panel loads.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
While starting your computer tap the F8 key once every second during the memory count up, or during the system splash screen where you see the system maker's name (HP, COMPAQ, DELL....etc.)

This will result in a text based menu. Use the cursor/arrow keys to navigate to SAFE MODE and hit enter.

Does the problem occur in safe mode?

NO TEARS IN THA END

NO TEARS IN THA END

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
no it works just fine in safe mode. its just when in normal startup. any other ideas?

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello no tears.

Copy the text in the Code Box to a blank notepad page. To get to notepad click on start, run and type in notepad. In notepad Click File, Click SaveAs. On save in select the dropdown for Desktop. For the file name put searchcpl.bat and click on the dropdown for save as type click on all files.

@ECHO OFF
If exist Results.txt Del Results.txt
Echo %date% %time% >>Results.txt
Echo.>>results.txt
ECHO Working.......
dir /s /a /b C:\*.cpl >>Results.txt2>nul

Please attach Results.txt in your next post. If just attaching the text document does not work compress it as a zip file first.

Also try Clean boot troubleshooting to see if there is a program interfearing with opening control panel.

Edited by tuxmaster, 04 November 2007 - 05:48 PM.

NO TEARS IN THA END

NO TEARS IN THA END

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
i click on the file on desktop and it doesn't open. what am i doing wrong? i tried your clean boot too, but that didnt work.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
I apologize I made a correction to the instructions we do not want the file to be named .cpl but .bat.

NO TEARS IN THA END

NO TEARS IN THA END

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
thanks for clarifying that. not sure if i did it right, because the results.txt onyl says the date and time but whatever here it is.

Attached Files

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
notears,

It should have shown up with something. Have you installed any programs recently?