Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Corrupt windows system files & no backup cd

• Please log in to reply

simballism

simballism

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey guys and gals. I'm stuck. I have Compaq Presario with Windows XP Media Center edition on it, and I got stuck at the blue screen of death. When I tried to restart in the Last known good configuration or safe mode the computer just restarts and doesn't boot, when I choose start Windows normally I'm stuck at the blue screen. The error is corrupt file Windows/system32/config/system. I cannot repair the file using the recovery disk because I did not create a disk as I should have when I fist set up my computer and I have a preloaded copy of XP on the pc and so I dont have any recovery disks at all. All of the advice I have seen involves using those recovery disks to get back to normal. I cannot get to a command prompt to try and use the chkdsk utility. I'm actually not even the one with the problem I'm typing this out for my girlfriend who doesnt have access to another computer at the moment and got the problem description by phone. I'm really not sure what to do. She's ran System Recovery and it says that the system was succesfully recovered, but when she restarts it is like nothing happened. Any thoughts/advice? Some magic to do in setup I dont know of? Anything is a help and appreciated. Thanks a to- I'll be using my refresh button alot :)

Edited by simballism, 13 October 2007 - 05:59 PM.

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
If you do not have a windows xp disk, download the following file: rc.iso

Now, go to Alex Feinman 's website and download the Isorecorder power toy. Install it on a working machine and reboot. Place a blank cd in your cd-burner and then right click rc.iso, and choose burn to cd from the context menu.

Now follow the directions located in my Knowledge bace[/url=http://repair.tuxmaster.org/kb/entry/1/] For recovering the registry from snapshot.[/url]