Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

First Build, Q6600 or E8650?

• Please log in to reply

jhemfl

jhemfl

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi, I'm building a new computer and I plan on having the following hardware:

Asus P5N-E SLI nForce® 650i SLI Chipset
2048MB [1024MB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Corsair XMS2 Xtreme w/Heat Spreader
Nvidia Geforce 8800GTX 768MB
200 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 8M Cache]

And now I can't decide which processor to put in it, the Q6600 or the E8650 (I didn't put a power supply cause it would obviously vary based on what processor I choose). This computer is 100% strictly for gaming, I plan on playing games like Crysis. I read that Crysis utilizes Quad-core systems, but is the difference really noticeable? Also, will this computer be able to run new directx10 games in max graphics? That's really what I'm looking for, I want a computer that will let me max out the graphics in every game I play. If there are any hardware suggestions please post.

I plan on making this computer last me for a long time. I know Quad-core will be more integrable in the future, but I'm kind of leaning towards the E8650 because it can be over clocked quite a bit for literally a 3rd of the power needed to over clock the Q6600.

Edited by jhemfl, 13 October 2007 - 10:47 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi jhemfl! Welcome to Geeks to Go! If you're going for serious gaming ability, I would look at these suggestions:

1) For your hard drive, try looking at one with a 16MB Cache. For the average user, they probably wouldn't notice a difference, but for the power user, I would go no less...
2) Have you considered going with the ATI Radeon 2900XT? You can get GDDR4 1GB versions, and the latest drivers are really beginning to give good performance. The 2900XT has the most "eye-candy" ability... If you choose an ATI card, you should look at the P35 chipset motherboards, such as the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 series...
3) I also would lean toward the E6850, but in all honesty the E6750 is much cheaper and can be overclocked a lot as well... Depending on how serious your overclocking plans are, you may wish to consider the Q6600.

That's just some of my quick thoughts, if you wait around a bit, plenty more people will offer their opinions so you can get the "whole picture" to choose the best parts for you!

Cheers :)

jhemfl

jhemfl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I have never over clocked before, but I am willing to try it. If anyone could post a guide that is maybe specific to over clocking the Q6600 that would be awesome. I'm a little nervous about OC'ing, of course I'm thinking in my head that I'm going to burn up my cpu, but I have excellent cooling set up for this computer.

If anyone could maybe give me a few pointers or some links to Q6600 over clocking guides, I'd really appreciate it.

Also, It doesn't matter which operating system you have to over clock does it? I planned on installing Windows Vista Home Premium, that wont have any effect on me over clocking the processor will it?

Edited by jhemfl, 14 October 2007 - 12:03 AM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
We have a guide on the forums but it is a little dated: Overclocking Explained. I don't recommend OCing unless you really know what you are doing. It will void the warrenty of your CPU and in many cases your MOBO, and RAM as well.

jhemfl

jhemfl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Well, there's a first time for everything. I have read on multiple sites that the Q6600 OC's quite simply, if anyone could help me out with some configurations or some tips that'd be great

Edited by jhemfl, 14 October 2007 - 05:33 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
here is a good place to get up to speed on the latest and greatest CPU's...got lots of benchmarking..plus mobo and chipset info
I am leaning towards the E6850..review here...

Edited by happyrck, 14 October 2007 - 06:13 PM.