Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Placing type over images in dreamweaver

• Please log in to reply

stuartie_b

stuartie_b

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi, I’ve designed a layout of my website in illustrator, i sliced the image up in Photoshop and want to put it into Dreamweaver using a table. The problem is i can't figure out once I’ve placed an image in the table how do i put type over the image without deleting the it? I could just put the type i want on to the image when making it in illustrator but i want it to be selectable for the user and show up in search engines, and this won’t happen if its part of the image. I've tried looking through my tutorial videos for help but they don’t show it, can anyone show me how to do this? thanks

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
maybe this will help some: Turning A Sliced Image Into An HTML Webpage.

Ron

stuartie_b

stuartie_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi no, that doesn't really help, when you type html text the image is replaced with a blank or coloured background just like in Dreamweaver, i need my background image to stay the same and the html text to type over it.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Are you using image as complete page bg? And I hope you are not using table tags for a page layout unless it is all tabular data where you're suppose to use tables. Do you have an online link to your site?

It is easy enough to set a bg image that you can easily type over. Just need to know exactly what you are trying to do.

Ron

stuartie_b

stuartie_b

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi, yeah i'm slicing the images up in photoshop and using a table in dreamweaver to place the slices in. the site isn't live yet becasue i've just started designing it. i thought about using a grid to place the slices in but i think i would have the same problem. Could you tell me how i could solve this? thanks

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I take it you used image slicing because you want to make an image map where parts of the image will have links? If not, slicing images and using tables is not the way to go for a bg image. If you have one main table (ugh) where you want a bg image, you can set up your css using a selector for the table. Example:

#bgtable1 { background-image: url(image_name.jpg); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: center center; background-attachment: fixed; background-color: #xxxxxx; margin: 0; padding: 0; }

<table id="bgtable1" summary="">
<tr>
<td> ... </td>
</tr>
</table>

That's it in its simplest form for a simple table. Change #bgtable1 to body { ... } for whole bg image in whole page. Add or adjust attributes values as needed.

Might post the code you are now using with full paths to any images that you may have uploaded to imageshack.com or photobucket.com.

Ron