Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Very low download speeds.

• Please log in to reply

dovemouse

dovemouse

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi, I supposedly have a 2M/bit broadband connection with virgin but for some reason I only get about 16Kb/s max when downloading. I'm sure this should be in the hundreds. I am using a NetGear router with 3 PCs on the network. any ideas?

Thanks.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The download speed of a computer will vary if more than one computer is actively downloading. If all are downloading at the same speed the download rate eventually evens out between the three. If only one computer is on and downloading, then slow speeds can be down to the server you're downloading from, an ISP issue or congestion on the local exchange. Also if you're downloading other things on your computer as well, that has an effect on your download speeds.

Typically download speeds on a 512kb connection are around 60kb/s so it goes that on average a 2Mb connection should download around 240kb/s, it being four times faster.

dovemouse

dovemouse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
This download speed of about 16 kB/s is when both other computers are turned of and even unplugged from the router. Any ideas?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Is this the case only on one computer or does it happen on all of them?

dovemouse

dovemouse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
All of them have this problem.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Then that points to a provider issue or a router issue, most likely a provider issue. Contact them.