Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Sonic Update Manager

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Whenever I start my computor I get this popup..........
" Please wait while Windowsconfigures Sonic Update Manager.... then it will say the feature you are tryiong to use is unavailable.....or to this extent....and all I can do is keep hitting cancel several times and it will finally go away , but this has to be done on every start up.
First what is ? and Second How can I make it go away !!! Any input would be helpful as this is getting very annoying.
Thank You......

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi yelm65...

The Sonic Update Manager is not an essential application and can be uninstalled or disabled.

From Control Panel, Open "Add or Remove Programs". See if you can spot "Sonic Update Manager" or "Update Manager" as listed programs. If you find either or both, they can be safely uninstalled.

There may also be an entry for it in the Microsoft Configuration Utility (msconfig) under the "Startup" tab. Click Start, then Run, type msconfig and click "Ok". Click on the "Startup" tab and look in the list for the above mentioned entries as well as sgtray.exe. If you find any of them, remove the tick from the box next to them and apply the change. You'll be prompted to reboot, do so. Upon restarting, you will see a Selective Startup dialog window...this is normal. Tick the box to not show it again and click "Ok".

Let us know if this helps...