I have been having a spot of bother with the laptop.
1. About a week ago, working fine. Switched it on, a little dialogue box appears telling me userinit.exe failed to initialise. Then the desktop comes up; no icons, no taskbar. Restored to an earlier configuration, but even though it appeared to work fine, it became unstable insomuch that the laptop randomly closed itself & it was hit-and-miss if I received the user.init error message.
2. Managed to work with it in this unstable state for a week, although I did notice that throughout the week, programmes steadily went down & refused to work. Like a gradual deterioration of the system.
Yesterday, did a scan using Kaspersky, SBS&D, Reg Mechanic. Revealed nothing, but did delete/quarantine some entries.
3. Today, boots up, but then automatically closes itself.
Cannot recover, will not even boot in safe mode nor 'Last known good config' - both result in same as above, closes itself automatically upon briefly showing the desktop.
By the way, I am the only user, so I cannot even attempt to log on through someone else's account.
I do not have an XP disc, but the laptop came pre-installed, so all I have is a recovery cd & an official MS Key.
Thing is, the recovery cd will not boot either! It boots so far as to give me the option of starting recovery, I choose to restore to factory settings, it tantilises me by saying it is starting the recovery process, BUT THEN the screen goes black, all indications of the computer working go quiet. Nothing. Dead.
4. Booted up recovery console with idea of doing chkdsk - downloaded a boot cd by Dean Adams "Recovery console for those without an Xp disc" through this link.
5. Run a chkdsk C: /r through recovery console - tells me it has corrected some issues, but nothing has changed upon restart.
Bit of a loose end now.
Luckily, I have all my files backed up externally, so data recovery is not a priority. I just would like to be able to start over again.
I would really appreciate some assistance please. I'm on the verge of throwing it out of the window, but I don't want to be defeated by a piece of machinery!!!!!