Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

audio

• Please log in to reply

Ricky_22

Ricky_22

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
The sound from my computer when playing sounds is terrible - it kind of vibrates and screeches, sometimes it'll come-over okay and then tremble/throttle kind of slow motion or however one can describe the noise .... can anyone aid me please? it doesn't appear to be a virus as I scan clean, and spyware is scanned often! I can't listen to my music anymore and I've closed the speakers down because its so irritating when sounds are played.

Would greatly appreciate any kind knowlegeable help.

Realtek AC97 Audio is my default device - here's hoping with fingers crossed

Ricky

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Ricky_22...

How does your machine run other than the sound issue. Are you experiencing any lags when opening applications? Do the programs that start with Windows at bootup seem to take a long time to fully load? When you do scans with Antivirus or Spyware applications, do they seem to take longer to complete than you think they should?

When you play your music, where is it being played from? Is it stored on the main HDD, a separate internal HDD, an external HDD, or removable media?

wannabe1

Ricky_22

Ricky_22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Hi Ricky_22...

How does your machine run other than the sound issue. Are you experiencing any lags when opening applications? Do the programs that start with Windows at bootup seem to take a long time to fully load? When you do scans with Antivirus or Spyware applications, do they seem to take longer to complete than you think they should?

When you play your music, where is it being played from? Is it stored on the main HDD, a separate internal HDD, an external HDD, or removable media?

wannabe1

Wow! man you got all of that right, incredible how you knew that! my music is stored on my main HDD - are you able to help me please!

Ricky

Have I been infected with something bad?

Edited by Ricky_22, 14 October 2007 - 03:34 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It wouldn't surprise me to find that you are infected with something, but I don't think that's causing this particular problem.

Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties". Click the "Hardware" tab, then the "Device Manager" button.

In Device Manager, expand (click +) IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Right click on "Primary IDE channel" and choose "Properties"...click on the "Advanced Settings" tab. Look at both Device 0 and Device 1 and make sure the Transfer Mode for each is set to "DMA if available"...if you find it set to PIO only, change it to DMA using the drop-down menu and click "Ok".

Right click on "Secondary IDE channel", choose "Properties", click the "Advanced Settings" tab, and do the same check on the Secondary channel.

If you make any changes, you may have to reboot for them to take effect.

Let me know what you find these settings set to.

Ricky_22

Ricky_22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

It wouldn't surprise me to find that you are infected with something, but I don't think that's causing this particular problem.

Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties". Click the "Hardware" tab, then the "Device Manager" button.

In Device Manager, expand (click +) IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Right click on "Primary IDE channel" and choose "Properties"...click on the "Advanced Settings" tab. Look at both Device 0 and Device 1 and make sure the Transfer Mode for each is set to "DMA if available"...if you find it set to PIO only, change it to DMA using the drop-down menu and click "Ok".

Right click on "Secondary IDE channel", choose "Properties", click the "Advanced Settings" tab, and do the same check on the Secondary channel.

If you make any changes, you may have to reboot for them to take effect.

Let me know what you find these settings set to.

All set to "DMA if available"... wasn't necessary to change anything

Ricky

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did you happen to notice what the "Current transfer rate" was set to on each channel?

Ricky_22

Ricky_22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Did you happen to notice what the "Current transfer rate" was set to on each channel?

Primary Ide
Device 0 = current transfer mode = PIO Mode
Device 1 = current transfer mode = Ultra DMA Mode 5

Secondary IDE
Device 0 = current transfer mode = Ultra DMA Mode 4
Device 1 = current transfer mode = Not Applicable

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

Primary Ide

This is the problem...the Primary IDE channel is set to Programmed Input/Output, which is what is slowing your machine way down.

Go back to the Advanced Settings for the Primary IDE channel and "toggle" the setting...that is, use the drop-down menu to set it to "PIO only" and click "Ok". Then change it back to "DMA if available" and click "Ok" again. Reboot and see if the sound is better...if not, check that setting again and see if it went back to the PIO transfer rate.

Sometimes, if the drive has thrown more than 6 transfer errors, it becomes necessary to uninstall the IDE channel that's affected and reinstall it to correct this problem. Try the toggle first...

Ricky_22

Ricky_22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Primary Ide

This is the problem...the Primary IDE channel is set to Programmed Input/Output, which is what is slowing your machine way down.

Go back to the Advanced Settings for the Primary IDE channel and "toggle" the setting...that is, use the drop-down menu to set it to "PIO only" and click "Ok". Then change it back to "DMA if available" and click "Ok" again. Reboot and see if the sound is better...if not, check that setting again and see if it went back to the PIO transfer rate.

Sometimes, if the drive has thrown more than 6 transfer errors, it becomes necessary to uninstall the IDE channel that's affected and reinstall it to correct this problem. Try the toggle first...

Golly, the sound was even worse :) and it took really ages for everything to start up and load - it went back to PIO only, but then I don't think ot changed at all! what should I do now please?

Ricky

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
PIO transfer mode is awful...huh? And to think machines used to run using that transfer method.

Go back to Device Manager, right click on "Primary IDE channel", and choose "Uninstall"...accept the change and reboot. The channel will reinstall when Windows starts and will reinstall any hardware attached to it. As soon as Windows finishes loading and reinstalling the hardware, reboot again...then try the sound.

Ricky_22

Ricky_22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

PIO transfer mode is awful...huh? And to think machines used to run using that transfer method.

Go back to Device Manager, right click on "Primary IDE channel", and choose "Uninstall"...accept the change and reboot. The channel will reinstall when Windows starts and will reinstall any hardware attached to it. As soon as Windows finishes loading and reinstalling the hardware, reboot again...then try the sound.

Must have been very frustrating - though I suppose the newness of it all was much more exciting then :)

Thank you so very much, sound is cool and loading is much faster - am I clean now, or do you think I may be infected with something

Ricky

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It wouldn't hurt to run through the steps in the Malware Forum and post a log for the experts to look at.

I'm glad we got that sorted out...transfer mode problems can sure be vexing if you don't know what you're looking at.

Glad to be of assistance! :)

Ricky_22

Ricky_22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

It wouldn't hurt to run through the steps in the Malware Forum and post a log for the experts to look at.

I'm glad we got that sorted out...transfer mode problems can sure be vexing if you don't know what you're looking at.

Glad to be of assistance! :)

Thnx alot, now I feel so much better :) have a nice day!

Ricky