Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade Questions

• Please log in to reply

Mike11418

Mike11418

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hey guys so my brother asked me if its possible to change his motherboard on his Sony Viao desktop since its getting pretty old and he wants to upgrade it. The exact model of the desktop is Sony VIAO PCV-RZ 44G. The thing that worries me is the size of case its about 14.8" tall 7.5" wide and about 14.8" depth(from front to back). So if I can switch out the motherboard, what type would be able to fit? ATX? I know if I do switch the motherboard I'll have to reinstall the OS which is fine. Also would I be able to use the old hard drive? He really just wants to upgrade the graphics card and the RAM which is maxed out right now with the current motherboard.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
MicroATX standard size is typically 9.6" by 9.6". Its most likely a MicroATX board, very rare you find a full-blown ATX board in any branded computer as they like to deliberately restrict the amount of upgrade ability on the machines to try and get you to fork out for a new one in a year or so's time.

I see no reason why a new board wouldn't go in there, you may need to upgrade the power supply though. Graphics card upgradability, depending on what you're running now, may not be worth it unless you're decided to replace the board anyway as your current one is AGP.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
What kind of hard drive and CPU is it?

It sounds like it may be cheaper and easier to start from scratch.