Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Last couple of questions!

• Please log in to reply

Mike11418

Mike11418

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
whats up guys thanks for all the help this forum is great! anyway I have a couple of questions before I start buying parts for my first build!!!

1) What are OEM really and is there any risk to buying OEM parts ?(wondering this because it is alot cheaper and since I'm on a budget it'll help)

2) When are Intel and AMD debuting their new line of processors? I'm assuming when this happens older processors (Intel's Q6600 is what I'm hoping to get) will drop. SO if I am correct I rather wait till then if its anytime soon.

3) Do all MOBOs have the same BIOS options? Or do some allows greater control than others? If they do differ whats a good MOBO with a good amount of options in BIOS around the $110 price range (I have an eye on the GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard )

Thanks again for all the help!

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
1) OEM stand for Orginal Equipment Manufacturer. It basically means that it is meant to be bought and assmebled with a new computer. It usually comes with less cables and sometimes instructions because you are assumed to know what you are doing.

2) Can't quite remeber. I know someone else will. I am thinking it was around Christmas?

3) Gigabytes us the Pheonix Award BIOS. It has more options then you will ever use. Intel boards and their BIOSs are the ones to stay away from. They are very limited with no options to overclock.

Mike11418

Mike11418

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks Titan, also whats everyones opinion on Intel's E6750 processor? Is it good enough to handle the 1950PRO video card? and will it be able to handle upcoming PC games? Its 100 less than the 6600 which would help a lot.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
The E6750 is the sweet spot in price/performance right now, it's an excellent processor that will be able to handle upcoming games reasonably well. It also overclocks very well, especially on a P35-chipset motherboard, like that Gigabyte you have your eye on...

Mike11418

Mike11418

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
cool thanks for that info helps alot with budgeting, also do you guys think 600W PSU is enough. The build will be as follows:

Thermaltake A2018 120mm Blue LED Case Fan - Retail
GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS ATX12V / EPS12V 600W Power Supply - Retail
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6750 - Retail
G.SKILL 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL6S-2GBMQ - Retail
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
NEC Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive - OEM
SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S203B - OEM
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail
(Eventually not right away though) 8800GTX video card
(Until then) 7600GS video card