Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Trouble with case layout

• Please log in to reply

fowlermj

fowlermj

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I bought a Gateway GT5058 desktop about a year ago, and it's worked well since. I added my old hard drive in the empty bay and added an 80mm fan on the back vent. Otherwise it's pretty much the way it came.

Up until now I've run BF2, CSS, etc with no real problems. FPS could be better, but it's been alright. I downloaded the Orange Box games from Valve and found out that Half Life 2 Ep 2 and Team Fortress barely run at all, and they're unplayable.

The integrated graphics from nvidia no longer cut it, so I started to look for a pcie card (for which I have a slot). Right off the bat it's evident that some of the higher end cards require a lot of room, so I started thinking about positioning and what I could fit.

Here's the problem: putting in any graphics card I can find would require installing it upside-down, unless I'm way off base (and I hope that I am). For some reason this computer is built with a right-side access instead of the left-side I'm used to. I'm not opposed to putting something in upside-down... except that many of the cards require two slots in the back of the case. Here are a couple pictures to help clarify what I'm talking about.

Inside the case.

Closeup of the PCIE slot.

The pcie slot lines up with the top knock out. If this were a mirror image... then it would be great since the blower/fan portion of the card would use the second slot from the top.

Unfortunately that is not the situation. Using the PCIE slot would require flipping the card upside-down, putting the blower somewhere piled on top of some capacitors or something and blowing right into a solid steel part of the frame.

Basically... wth? The consensus from my gaming buddies (after the laugher and shouts of "dude... you're screwed!") is that I have to buy a new computer. Well... this one's a year and four months old and that is definitely not in the budget.

Has anyone run into this before? Maybe my lack of experience is showing and this is no big deal. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

PS: Yes, I know I should have built my own, and yes, I know this is what you get when you buy a stock computer. :)

Advertisements

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
There will be no problem installing the card because the bulk of the card goes down and not up into the wires.

Yellowleader

Yellowleader

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

There will be no problem installing the card because the bulk of the card goes down and not up into the wires.

Hes right. Because normally when installing one right side up, the bulk of the card is on the top, so the extra space used from it is above the PCI-E slot, but since yours is upside down, the Bulk will be flipped (on the bottom) and you have enough room under it for it to not conflict with anything, not even the PCI slots

you should be fine with a new high end graphics card ... that'll shut your gaming friends up :)

PS: Yes, I know I should have built my own, and yes, I know this is what you get when you buy a stock computer.

And yes you should have, but hey, who cares hehe

Edited by Yellowleader, 15 October 2007 - 08:23 AM.

fowlermj

fowlermj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thank you both for your replies; they're very encouraging.

I did some more snooping around and it looks like you're right in regards to many cards, including the 8600's I was looking at- they're a single-slot card with the usual fan bulk facing up, but not taking up more than one slot.

The thing that looks more difficult is something like this. With these, fitting into the PCIE slot puts the blower on top. In all my old PCs I would have had to flip the card upside-down to install, putting the blower/fan below.

Maybe using "upside-down" in my first post was misleading :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The only way I can see you doing this is if you get a new case. Also most if not all GPU's will be to long and the fan duct will be in the way, not to mention that I'm doubtful that PSU will be able to run any card.
Try changing the resolutions for TF2, the requirements are quite low.
Edit: That HD2900XT won't fit in the case, nor will that PSU support that high end of a card.
James

Edited by james_8970, 15 October 2007 - 05:18 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
This is a BTX form factor motherboard, it will work. You can flip it around, though it's seems like a dumb way to do things (developers fault not yours) as dust will settle on the card while the computer is off.
James

Edited by james_8970, 15 October 2007 - 05:20 PM.

fowlermj

fowlermj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thanks for the advice. I decided to buy a new power supply while I had the cash, just to make sure I wasn't underpowering anything. I went with a BFG 650watt (got a good price). That is installed and working fine... aside from waaaaaay more noise than I was expecting. I live in a loft apartment and this puppy might be getting shut down every night before bed now. Kind of a pain... but oh well.

I also decided to cut my losses on the graphics card front and go with a BFG 8600 GT OC, which only requires the one slot. So it's in there, fan-side up. All is running smoothly, but I'm getting some annoying intermittent noise from the fan, as though something is vibrating. Just loud enough to really be bothersome. Now I'm wondering if I'm going to have to exchange the card to get rid of the noise.

Is there anything that is a typical problem with cards like this that I could resolve to eliminate the clicking noise? Should I post a question like that in a new post?

Whatever happens with the noise problems, thank you all for your help with the rest!

Thanks!

Marcus

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
I posted an answer in your new thread :)

fowlermj

fowlermj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thanks!