Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot Errors

• Please log in to reply

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
OK I have been trying to put bigger hds in my computer, they are only 60gb, but thats all I really need at this moment.

I put the 60 in as a slave and it booted up fine, since you cant simply copy the whole drive straight over, I decided to just put xp onto the 60 and then move over the files I keep extra copys of in case of the drive crash.

IT all seemed to be working fine, but now I have a 60 gb main and back up, the back up is blank the main has the new copy of XP..... but the [bleep] thing wont boot up, its says

"NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"

So I do and it still wont boot.... whats weird is I have been having MAJOR problems just getting the motherboard/setup to even see the hds.... its been an all day thing and well im so tired.

So if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Also the OLD 40gb HD wont boot either??

Advertisements

Luthas

Luthas

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I had this same problem today since i used xp as well you can do what i did. First boot up with the windows cd in your drive, it will still say that ntldr is missing but just boot from the cd. It should go into the windows setup hit R to go into repair then type 1 and enter put a password if u have one. Next type in
copy (cd letter i.e E):\i386\ntldr (master drive letter i.e C):\
so for me it was copy F:\i386\ntldr D:\
hit enter should copy that file then type

copy (again cd letter):\i386\ntdetect (same master drive):\

Should say both are copied if you put the right letter for your drives in once that is complete simply exit and restart should boot fine.