Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I'd Love Some Suggestions

• Please log in to reply

Star Commander

Star Commander

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello there. I've been bored with my tired-[bleep] compy and am going to do a whole new build, where cash is not really an issue (within some semblance of reason, of course). Really, I mean maxing EVERYTHING out. Like so:

WD 1 TB Hard Drive - WD10EACS
WD 10,000 RPM Hard Drive WD1500AHFD
2 x XFX GeForce 8800 Ultra
8 GB GSkill DDR2-800
ThermalTake ATX Power Supply – W0133
CoolerMaster ATX Tower Case – RC-830
Lite-On CD/DVD Writer – LH-20A1P
Mitsumi Floppy Drive with Card Readers – FA404M
Razer Gaming Keyboard – Tarantula
Razer Gaming Mouse – DeathAdder
Intel Quad Core Processor – BX80562QX6850
ECS Quad Core Motherboard with SLI and DDR2 - NF650ISLIT-A
Windows Vista Operating System – Ultimate

Couple of questions, really.

1) How maxed out is this system? Any suggestions for higher-end parts? Even if it's just a suggestion to a different brand that will give me better specs, let me know!

2) What's the estimated overclock on these parts (videocards, memory, and processor, namely)? Is it worth the cost of brand new parts (I've heard top of the line parts don't tend to overclock as well, since they often push near their true peaks nowadays)?

3) Are there any substitutions I could/should make that would cut costs (any parts that overclock high enough to match or surpass these parts that I can get much cheaper)? I know there are lots that will overclock to similar speeds as the stock here, but I mean is there anything that will go past even this rigs overclocking potential?

4) As you can see, I picked a nice, spacious case, that can hold up to nine 120 mm fans, and should hold two 8800 Ultras (right?). Question is, is that enough? I *know* if I do any MAJOR overclocking, I need some direct cooling for the CPU, and possibly the RAM and GPU - any suggestions? I should also note that I'm not really interested in water cooling - yeah, I know it's quieter and better for overclocking, but it's a hassle (in my mind, at least), and I likes my big fans! :)

Your thoughts are welcome and much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
-Star Commander

Advertisements

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Well you are well over maxed out. The only problem is that it is too maxed out. You could probily save about $2,000 by downgading some of the parts. You will probibly not notice a performance difference. Like do you really need SLI 8800 Ultras. A 8800 GTX is probibly well enough for any new DirectX 10 game coming out. Also Vista 32bit will only reconize 3.25GB of RAM, so the 4.75GB of RAM will not even be used. Also any Intel processor with Extreme in it is going to be EXTREMLY overpriced. You could get a Core 2 Dou E6850 for about the same preformace for $750 less. http://www23.tomshar...m...8&chart=425

Star Commander

Star Commander

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yeah, I realize it's overkill, but the idea was to future proof it. In this configuration it'd be good for at 5 years or so before I *had* to upgrade (not to say I wouldn't *want* to in the mean time). GTX's can be overclocked into Ultra levels, but they're really no comparison if you OC Ultras. I should've mentioned - I'm going with Ultimate 64-bit - the RAM is still overkill but, again, it's future proof. The E6850 is only a dual core - the Q6850 is a quad, so there's really no comparison performance-wise. Of course, many programs can't make use of all four cores yet (some even run slower, I admit) but, again, future proof (I get the feeling that's gonna come up a lot...hehe).

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
There is not such thing as "future proofing" in the tech field. Great hardware is constantly being shoved aside for newer and better standards. Trying to "future proof" is a waste of money IMHO.

You could take the money you are spending on this build and split it in half. Build one computer now. In two years or so from now whenever your computer is falling behind you could build an entire other build with the other half of the money. With the cost of the system you have shown you could easily build two "mainstream" or even higher end gaming rigs.

You can get two 500gb HDDs for much cheaper than the price of that 1tb HDD.

Also I advise against ECS. They tend to have problems accepting certain types of RAM and etc.

Don't get a 64bit OS. The computer world still isn't ready for them. Many drivers and software will not function correctly on the 64bit OS. You do have the option to buy a retail copy instead of OEM which comes with both the 32bit and 64bit versions of the OS. Any particular reason you want the ultimate edition?

Edited by Titan8990, 15 October 2007 - 11:19 AM.

Star Commander

Star Commander

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yeah, the more I look at it, the more I'm deciding to switch some things up - both for better overclocking ability, and reduced cost. I like the features in Ultimate and Home Premium better than those in the other versions, and Ultimate has a couple that I like that aren't in Home Premium. Simple as that. :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
-Drop the Raptor, the 1TB drive has similar performance.
-Go with DDR3 if you want 2GB modual sticks as it seems like you don't have a limit anyways. I'd get 4GB now, and another 4GB later on, you won't see any differences between 4GB and 8GB. However to do this you will not be able to go into SLI as you'd have to purchase the x38 chipset. Don't quote me on this but the 7x0i's should be coming out soon which will have DDR3 support and SLI support. These could come out any time between November and end of January. I'm expecting to hear about it from the next computer conference.
-Can you give me a link to your PSU, there is going to be a huge strain on your PSU with this rig.
-Ultra are kinda like an overclocked GTX, however you cannot overclock the shaders on the GTX. The shadders are higher clocked on the ultra which will likely make a large difference on newer games like crysis.
-Drop the ECS board, you're looking for trouble :)
-If you want a 64bit OS, I recommend dual booting(with a 32bit OS, the retail version of Vista comes with both), but this won't be needed unless you get 8GB of RAM(don't recommend it at this time).
The first ultra high end Penryn processors will be coming out next month. It's on a 45nm manufacturing fab, which means it'll running cooler and require less power. Also it has 12MB of cache which again will be important in upcoming DX10 games. If you don't want the ultra high end Penryn then the lower end versions will be coming out in January.
As you can see from my post, it's echoing what titan has said, you cannot futureproof anything, but I can see what your trying to achieve.
James

Edited by james_8970, 15 October 2007 - 01:50 PM.

Star Commander

Star Commander

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
James: Umm...the Raptors are 10k rpm, the TB are only 7200rpm... Thanks for the tip-in on the video cards, though. From all I've heard, though, I think it's worth waiting until next month for the 45nm processors and new chipsets. Still, I can get a good baseline, I suppose. :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The physically speed of the drive is far from the only factor that increases the speed of a drive :)
James

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

The physically speed of the drive is far from the only factor that increases the speed of a drive :)
James

Yep it is a misconception that a higher RPM will always mean better performance. Some of the best performing hard disks are 7,200 RPM and beat the 10,000 RPM disks.

Star Commander

Star Commander

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I understand that for single drives, but I was led to believe that Raptors in RAID 0 would beat 'em out.

Advertisements

Star Commander

Star Commander

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Okay, here's what I've compiled on the basis of potential overclocking:

EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 Motherboard
Intel BX80562Q6600 Processor
4 x 1GB Patriot PDC22G9600ELK (5-5-5-12)
2 x EVGA 768-P2-N887-AR (8800 Ultra, SLI)
4 x Seagate ST3750640AS (750GB, 7200rpm)
Tuniq Tower 120 + Panasonic FBA12G12U1A
Lite-On LH-20A1P CD/DVD Writer
Mitsumi FA404M Floppy Drive/Card Reader
Sunbeam Rheobus Fan Controller (Rheostat)
Windows Vista Ultimate 64-Bit
Razer Tarantula Keyboard
Razer DeathAdder Mouse
Dell 2407WFP-HC (24" UltraSharp) Monitor
CoolerMaster Stacker RC-832 Case
Logitech 970118-0403 2.1 Speaker System
PC Power and Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW-SR

Of course, I'll be using Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound. Also note that this is the setup I'm looking at at the moment, but I think I may wait until November-January, when the new 45nm's and new chipset come out.

Lemme know what you think!
-Star Commander

Edited by Star Commander, 15 October 2007 - 09:59 PM.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Why SLI Ultras? Even just one 8800GTX should suit your needs. What I would do is get a 8800GTX and if you need to in the future, which I doubt, go SLI with the 8800GTX.

Star Commander

Star Commander

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ultras, because with the better core and memory, they OC a decent amount higher. Also, the 24" monitor is the sweet spot now, but that size is likely to go up a few inches each year. If I update, I'll NEED the better cards SLI'd to keep the higher resolutions from artifacting in DX10 games. In fact, starting with Crysis, Ultras SLI'd are likely to prove themselves invaluable, even on the 24".

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If you have nearly a bottomless budget they do perform better then the GTX's, just want to say something here, don't push a Ultra to hard if any at all. The card is running hot enough as it is, pushing it much harder could fry it. If you water cooled the thing that'd be the only exception.

Crysis is bring every system to it's knee's, 2 GTX's in SLI only perform 30FPS on high, there are two settings above high once they relase the patches later on;) There is always a need for greater performance. Putting it on a 24" screen will bring anything to it's knees when it comes to gaming.

The TB drives perform better then the 750GB drives.

The Thermaltec ultra 120 extreme is better then the tunic tower.

Floppys are more or less a waste of space now, VERY rarly would you ever need one, if ever. In the odd case that you do, just hook up an old guy, I won't pernemently place one in the tower. But this is my personal view on this issue.

If you plan on overclocking, I'd get RAM with tighter timings.

James

Star Commander

Star Commander

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
James: What I'm finding shows that the 750 Seagates in RAID 0 beat any 1TB drives in RAID 0, and even Raptors in RAID 0 (Raptors have a higher burst, but the Seagates have a better average read). Yeah, I think I mis-copy/pasted the Tuniq instead of the Thermalright - what with the Tuniq not being able to strap on extra fans, and all. The only reason to keep the Mitsumi around is because it's a card reader, too. Lots of third party companies still use floppies, and it's better safe than sorry - I'm gonna keep case clutter in check, so it's not that big a deal. Also, that Patriot RAM has the tightest stock timings of any PC2-9600 I found.