Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't keep a constant connection

• Please log in to reply

gamelord12

gamelord12

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I've got a 4-port wireless Linksys router, but I connect through a wired connection. My college's dorms all have this bandwidth restriction, and to monitor it and the security of the network, they make us all use static IPs and we have to run one of several approved anti-virus programs. I'm not sure just how much impact that has on this issue, but my router works fine when I use it at home, yet it will work for a little while and then I won't be able to access the router at all, or sometimes I won't be able to reach any outside networks. It also might be worth mentioning that I have to use the router to clone the MAC of my NIC in order to connect to my dorm's network, because that MAC was registered with the school's server when I first set up my connection. So, how do I get my router to keep its connection?

Advertisements

gamelord12

gamelord12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Any ideas? I'd REALLY like to get this working before I get my laptop.

gamelord12

gamelord12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Anyone?