Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Empty CD's? No!

• Please log in to reply

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
There are a few CD's I burnt of image files some four years ago. I know those files are on those CD's. But they won't open. I don't even hear the sound of the CD running. I click on My Computer. Then CD Drive (D:) and it's empty.

Any and all other CD's open properly on the drive.

I've tried them on another computer with the same empty result.

There must be a solution to this.

Do you know how to proceed?

Thanks for looking.

- Bob

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If the CDs in question don't work on other computers and other CDs work in your computer and the other computer the issue lies with the CDs in question. What state are they in (scratched? Dirty? Seen better days)? How were they burnt (with Nero? XP? Roxio? Something else? Closed the session or multi-session?) Were they burnt on the current drive or another drive? How have they been treated since you burnt them? Sleeves? Random pile? Next to loudspeakers or in direct sunlight? Used as a Frisbee?

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Hi Neil!

How were they burnt (with Nero? XP? Roxio? Were they burnt on the current drive or another drive? How have they been treated since you burnt them? Sleeves? Random pile? Next to loudspeakers or in direct sunlight? Used as a Frisbee?

Roxio :) , on Windows 98. And this is what I think is the problem. It was before Windows XP and I used Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum on a long gone computer; not the current drive. I've tried to get to Roxio. Tried to find a driver for XP. Written an email to them. That place is impossible to find what you want.

No, the CD's have been well secluded from anything. So well hidden I just found them. No scratches. In sleeves.

Used as a Frisbee? I'm about to, but I'm too curious to find a single file I think is on one of them.

Thanks for your attention.

- Bob

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Ah now Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 does not work on Windows XP, without patches anyway.

As far as you know did you write the files as a complete session (ie, finalising them) or did you use some packet writing software, under Roxio it was called Adaptec/DirectCD? If it was done by packet writing then because the different programs use different techniques to do the same job, they're not compatible with each other. That is, a CD used for packet writing with InCD would be rendered unreadable by Adaptec/DirectCD. In this situation the only way to read it would be with the original program used - in the case of inCD even just upgrading from one version to another doesn't mean version 3 can read disks made by version 2! In any case there's no guarantee the original program works under XP.

But failing that, this and the subsequent answer might be of interest with a link to some programs that may be able to get the data back:
http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq04.html#S4-15

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

As far as you know did you write the files as a complete session (ie, finalising them) or did you use some packet writing software, under Roxio it was called Adaptec/DirectCD?

Hard to remember. I recall something about saving music files to play in your car. I suspect I did not "finalise" these image files. I also recall seeing both "Adaptec and DirectCD" but don't know if I used them or had whatever they are. It was all new to me, as was the computer in general and I was not real organized.

Thanks for the link. I'll look it over.

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Yep, your link provided me with IsoBuster. That did it.

Thanks a million.

- Bob