Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question about VGA cooling

• Please log in to reply

Snippy

Snippy

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Hello,

I have a problem with my graphics card heating up too high. I was just playing Callofduty 4 Demo and
I was playing for about 20minutes and I exited and see my Graphics card temperature @ 85C!! Thats a
little too hot for me and I was just thinking would water cooling help me out in this situation? I know that
when Callofduty 4 comes out I'm gonna be playing it for more than 20min at a time and it might heat up
to around 90C if I play for a few hours strait (which I will =p) that will definately affect gameplay. Right
now I have a custom fan on my card which my card is A X1900XTX , it's a year old but its still at the top
of the charts performance wise. Also I believe my card also idles to high, it's usually idles @ 50C. I was
wondering if water cooling will greatly reduce this and what setup should I buy if so? And if it will only
reduce the temperature by like 5C then it's probably not worth it. But if it can keep my card under 70C
under load then I might get it. So please just post your ideas and a setup (preferable cheap setup) that
I can get so I can play cod4 for hours strait!!

Thanks!!

Snippy

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yes water cooling will drop your significantly, probably as much as 30*C if you get a good setup. The the temperature drop comes with a price, you looking at, at least a 200$ price tag.
Swiftec has a good CPU+VGA+north bridge combo selling for slightly less then 300$.
If you want to drop temps on a budget your best bet would be an after market air cooler from artic cooling or something similar.
Be warned however, this voids you warrenty and do either setup wrong and you cook your card.

I'll use what I plan on doing for my water cooling setup.
Take this as an example, for an overclocked HD2900XT
http://www.techpower...terblock/5.html
As you can see, the overclocked card will drop from 83*C on stock all the way down to 48*C, a significant drop. Considering I'm happy if my card runs below 70*C.
Keep in mind though, on this setup the VGA cooler was the only conponent being cooled in the loop. If you are cooling a overclock quad and a VGA I recommend a 2 rads.
James

Edited by james_8970, 15 October 2007 - 04:27 PM.

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Hello,

Thanks for your reply. Anyways I am just going to cool my VGA card. And how much would a water cooling
system be for just my VGA card and not like everything in my case?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
There are a huge veriety of things to look at, I'll break it down a bit, everything here is a rough estimate.
Pump - 70$
Tubing - 10$
Resevoir - 20$
Rad - 50-120$ (this is were I'd invest as much as possible, as it ultimately determines your cooling performance).
VGA water block - 60$
Fans - 10-20$ (depends how quite you want it, some rads even come with the fans).
Water additive -5$
Hose clamps - 5$
RAM sinks - 10$

Pretty sure I have listed everything here. As you can see, your looking at a significant investment if you wish to water cool.
James

Edited by james_8970, 15 October 2007 - 05:25 PM.

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Hello,

is there not a kit that includes all this stuff?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yes there are kits, but they include other things such as a CPU cooler, I have yet to see a kit with only a VGA cooler.
James

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Well do even if they do come with a cpu cooler part, does that have to be attached?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
You could get this and then add another single rad and the GPU cooler.
I don't think this rad alone will be enough to handle a CPU and GPU which is why I suggest getting another Rad on top of what it offered (two rads in a single loop).
But now your looking at 300$, a significant amount of money.
James

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Do you believe that this set would work?

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835118015

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
It might work ok, but nothing great. It's fanless so the heat wouldn't be dissipate as quickly, also keep in mind the pump is intergraded into the rad so if it goes you have to deal with Zalman for a replacement which may be a pain. I'd look around on the web for some in depth reviews, but I'm a little short on time right now. If I have a chance tomorrow I could.
James

Edited by james_8970, 15 October 2007 - 06:15 PM.

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Ahh this one doesn't look half bad.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835128015

It's got fans but I'm not sure if it has VGA cooling.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
As the saying goes you get what you pay for it. It's a single fan rad, not nearly enough for a CPU and VGA card.
James

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Hmm ok then when you have enough time can you just get me links to seperate pieces of a water cooling system that I can use to only cool my VGA card? Thanks for your time!