Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File Sharing Between Laptop (Vista) & Desktop (XP)

• Please log in to reply

DZTRBD

DZTRBD

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

I recently bought a toshiba satelitte with vista and ive got a p4 xp desktop computer.

Ive hooked the desktop up to a wireless (built in modem) belkin router.. Ive got wireless internet on the laptop and everything.

But what i want to know is how do i share files between the two, i cant see each computer on the network?

How do i share files between a vista pc and a xp pc?

Help Please?

Advertisements

mitz

mitz

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
You can go to the run window (in the start menu)and type \\computer name and press enter. This will connect you with the other computer and show you what is shared. (If you have a network set up)And only if you have shared something.

If you want to share a file or folder, you right click on it and choose to share..You also set permissions there too(If others can edit the file or not)

To find your computer name it is in system properties in the control panel.

So go to the main computer, right click a folder like my documents ...share it
Then get the computer name by pressing win key and pause break together. Just say it is mitz
Go to the laptop and type \\mitz into the run box..It should show up with my documents from the main computer..