Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Serious BSOD problems -- win32k.sys -- XP Pro

• Please log in to reply

Jitsun

Jitsun

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My laptop:
HP 8510P
3GB RAM
T1300 @ 2.0GHZ
Windows XP Pro
ATI Mobility HD 2600

Steps I've taken:
Ran virus/spyware checks both online/browser based and program (AVG/Spybot).
Uninstalled/reinstalled graphic driver with DrivenHeaven Mobility Mod tool. Uninstalled using DriverHeaven's DriverCleaner.net PRO.
Currently running MemTest86+ on self installed ram module (2GB). 3 Passes upon writing and no errors detected yet. I was told to reseat the memory module just incase and DID notice that upon opening my RAM door, the self installed module looked a little out of place compared to the HP preinstalled one that came with the laptop.

Upon purchasing the laptop I noticed ATI did not list a driver for their own graphic card, Mobility Radeon HD 2600 on their website. The HP/OEM driver was giving me a few problems -- I noticed from several other users who purchased the same model/make of laptop were experiencing the same problem as well. An occassional ATI error would pop up saying the graphic card has been reset, etc. This was fine until I started receiving the occassional BSOD. I went ahead and installed using DrivenHeaven's Mobility Mod tool -- Cat 7.8, after 7.10 gave me same errors. Since then I have NOT had any more ATI 'resets' but HAVE had BSODs.

Until recently I could not catch the exact name of the BSOD errors because I had Automatic Reboot enabled. I disabled this and caught the following.

win32k.sys
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
0x00000050 (0xE6E95304, 0x00000000, 0XBF89412B, 0X00000001)
win32k.sys Address BF89412B base at BF800000 DATESTAMP 45f013f6

Here's what I wrote in another support form recently; I'm quoting myself:

I always have a tendency to doubt myself at times like these. Though I do not know to what extent it might affect it, I may have hit the gold connectors with a finger while placing it in (I heard any spot of oil could affect it).

I took out the module HP preinstalled, reseated the module I self installed after gently cleaning it.

I did notice before even taking it out that it was seated strangely compared to the other one.. Some of the gold connectors were showing a bit, while the one HP installed showed none. When I reseated it, nothing was showing. It seemed to 'click' a little better than I remembered when I first installed it.

It was my first experiencing installing RAM, period.

I'm going to let it run for awhile to see if it detects anything.

Am I grasping at straws here by not skipping ahead to further troubleshooting.. or is there the slightest chance the above could cause it?.

What I HAVE noticed lately, is once I disabled the Automatic Reboot option, I started browsing just to try and notice exactly when the errors seem to occur. It looks like whenever I'm running a heavy program (such as WoW and then quickly tabbing to Firefox or a messenger at the same time) the error pops up. It's always the same one, win32k.sys page_fault. If the laptop is left alone, or even coming out of standby etc, nothing happens. It only looks like I get a BSOD when I start opening multiple programs at once.. or trying to load something intensive on a page.

At 5:47pm last night I received the BSOD error. At 11pm I received another one. Just to clarify, those two dates were before I reseated the module and began testing.. I'll let you know the results if any and go from there.

Edit: Something else I noticed. I tried reinstalling graphic card drivers, but whenever I uninstall the original, on reboot I would get the Automatic Hardware Detection Wizard. It would pop up an icon in my system tray, as if I had plugged in a USB device. There is NO cancel option. I've tried numerous things, different methods of uninstalling, including DriverHeaven's tool and still no use. It still detects it on every reboot. Eventually I gave up and installed the drivers over it. Again, could THIS be the issue?.

The laptop was purchased on the 21st of September. I'm starting to lose a lot of hope.

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
We want to run the offline crash diagnostics to get a quick snapshot at what could possibly be the problem with you getting Blue screen error messages.

First we want to download the offline crash diagnostic. You can obtain that here
Now we want to Run the Offline Crash Diagnostic tool
After you save the WindowsXP-KB923800-ENU.exe file, follow these steps:

1. Double-click the WindowsXP-KB923800-ENU.exe file to install the Offline Crash Diagnostic tool.
The installer adds the Offline Crash Diagnostic tool files to the %Windir%\Pchealth\Helpctr\Binaries folder.
2. Click Start, click Run, type ocadiagnostic.exe ,and then click OK to run the Offline Crash Diagnostic tool.
3. Agree to let the tool send information to Microsoft. Then, click Next.
The tool performs the following tasks:

• The tool determines the number of dump files on the computer.
• The tool finds any dump files that are located in the %Windir%\Minidump folder. You can choose to send all the dump files, or you can choose to send individual dump files.
Note The last 10 dump files to be created are collected. Dump files are not collected if they are more than one year old.
• The tool automatically sends the dump files to the Office Crash Diagnostic Microsoft database Web site for analysis.
• The tool downloads the response URLs.
• The tool displays the response IDs. The tool also provides hyperlinks to the Office Crash Diagnostic Web site.

Go ahead and report back the Response IDS with your next post.

qwerty_lesh

qwerty_lesh

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i am wondering if jitsun has found a patch or somthing to solve this bsod
i have a notebook ( Acer TM 7720 )
with one of these [bleep] ATI Mobility HD 2600
and i am getting the EXACT Bsod message when i change resolutions, multitask, game ect

my maessage is identical other then maybe for the timestamp of course
BSOD:
Stop: 0x00000050 ( 0xE5CE0304, 0X000000, 0XBF89412B, 0X00000001 )
WIN32K.SYS Address BF89412B Base at BF800000 Datestamp 45f013f6

i need a patch or to somehow find out if i have a faulty component or an
unseated ram module (from reading ive seen thats supposedly common)

im trying the diagnostic tool/offline crash thingy-majiggy
but this isnt my notebook and i need to somehow fix this bsod today, im even resorting to painfully going through amd's website for a possable solution :|
please reply soon

Jitsun

Jitsun

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you.

Unfortunately over the past few days.. the machine had gotten worse and worse.

I was thrown around by HP Technical support to try a number of fixes. This included reseating the memory, testing it again, on and on.

Eventually I was told to reinstall the OS. Everything plummeted from there. Windows would not repair, freezing halfway through the installation and on next reboot I could no longer even access the desktop. I could not back anything up, nor was I able to reset my username and password, so I suspect HP will do a reformat.

This lead to HP resorting to my pickup and repair service. The laptop is currently being evaluated and I'm waiting for it to be repaired and shipped.

Since then I've been told HP has released a new driver for the HD 2600.

Qwerty, I'm very sorry to hear that.. It worries me even more, because of the mention regarding res/multitask/gaming etc.. which is what I found triggered it most. I'm hoping it's not just a bad graphic card, period.

qwerty_lesh

qwerty_lesh

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i hope u can find a way to fix your problem jitsun, i was just checking up on this thread to say that i have completely stopped my bsod.
first off,
if its xp u have this problem with, then the only solution that i have found to work at all is the DH catalyst mod
it fixed my problem, as for vista, well the 7.10 mobility drivers should fix the blue screen

have u downloaded the Hd Mobility Modder
and followed the instructions?
> www_driverheaven_net/modtool/ ( stops replaced with underscores)

(i hope its not agiainst this forums rules to post urls )
but i found that the hd origional link which is:
> www_driverheaven_net/patje

didnt work
try the modtool url jitsun, i didnt even need to remove the previous drivers, altho id suggest doing so
i followd the instructons, then once it was modded, ran the installer from the source folder.
intsalled like a breeze when i restarted i had working ati drivers for the HD 2600 mobility
if u have tried out the mod and have had it successfully patched but not fix your bsod, their is a good chance that it is some kind of h/w fault
but i found that this pagefault problem exactly like yours can be fixed by removing ur anti virus and modding the driver
but just incase, i wish u the best of luck anyway, im amazed that i got such an annoying problem fixed in one day :)
just changing resolutions would set the thing off, acer, hp SHOULD supply a FULLY working version of catalyst for their Products, and even reccomend this modification!
:\

the acer i was fixing was for a customer at my work, ill probably make them donate to driver heaven for such a great patch.

some suggestions i think are usefull, is make sure your windows file protection is working, u can initiate it by using the sfc util:
win + run: sfc /scannow

and make sure that u dont have any unsigned drivers for all your default hardware that came with your hp, using signature verification util
win + run : sigverif

ive noticed ur posts on other forums trying to fix this problem so u know how to disable auto restart, ect
ultimatly i feel that the only solution on the net is: catalyst drivers 7.10 for xp 32bit & the modder

best of luck again, its a shame that ati dont just make a WORKING version of 7.10 for XP for MOBILITY :\
*nutkicks AMD*

reading your reply, if only u had a modded 7.10 back before you re-installed, and if it worked, u may not of had gone through all of the:
*posting on heaps of sites just to only get poor advice
*getting *&^ around by hp technical support
*pulling your hair out because ati are.... not as good as they used to be... (IMO)

the MS Offline Crash Diagnostic tool complete waste of time IMO tuxmaster, this is somthing for AMD to deal with not microsoft, but i appreciate your posting, helping people to resolve bsods with old and new hardware, that is commendable :)

Edited by qwerty_lesh, 23 October 2007 - 12:43 AM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello Jitsun,

Thanks for the update. Let us know when you got your system back and if you are still having that issue.

qwerty_lesh Regardless if you are having the same problem or not please start your own thread. In addition the purpose of the Offline crash diagnostic is a diagnostic tool not to fix . The reason why I run the Offline Crash Diagnostics and ask for the IDS is because it helps me speed up the troubleshooting that I do on systems. I would agree sometimes it is not as helpful as I like however some of the time it helps a lot. It is a time tested tool that I have used time and time again but is only 1 of the 2 tools that I use almost in every Blue Screen Error. His issue perchance might not have anything to do with AMD or his Graphics card. I have seen the win32k.sys be a cause of a blue screen on systems that do not have a ATI graphics Card.

Edited by tuxmaster, 23 October 2007 - 02:09 AM.