Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

remote access platform

• Please log in to reply

direcpchelp

direcpchelp

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have family members and friends that call me for 'personal pc support' and I'd like to be able to have them enter my gateway IP address in a browser window ( after I launch IIS on my workstation ) and or give them an executable to launch by email - !!if their email works!! - with say an http link - to give me a controling remote desktop connection to their pc, regardless if they are using 98, 2000, xp. or even vista if possible.

I don't want them have to go through the process of setting up XP remote assistance or establish a gatekeeper or conferencing server for Netmeeting or use a subscription desktop sharing program. I just want them to be able to enter my IP address in their browser, click on a link to install the remote desktop app and acknowledge / permit my connection to their pc. I'd also prefer that the software used be shareware or free ware, and of course not jeopardized the security of my pc. Does an application like this exist?

If I have to put my pc in a DMZ outside my firewall I guess that would be OK but I'd probably use another basic build pc like a Win2k box I have as a spare and use it only for this type of activity.

Any suggestions?

Edited by direcpchelp, 17 October 2007 - 12:00 AM.

Advertisements