Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

can this setup play games and use some editing software

• Please log in to reply

chancy4342

chancy4342

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
hi im new to the computer world and im trying to purchase my first very own computer and i was wandering if the computer i am wanting to get can play PC games and use some graphic software.
Heres the setup:
Processor Intel® Pentium® D
Processor Speed2.8GHz
System Bus800MHz
Cache Memory2 x 1MB L2 cache on die Level 2
System Memory (RAM)1GB
Hard Drive Size 250GB
Graphics Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950(going to buy a better one after i get the computer)
double-layer DVD±RW/CD-RW

http://www.bestbuy.c...8#productdetail

you can find all the specifications here

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi chancy4342, welcome to Geeks to Go!

Personally, I'm not too keen on that system. It should go alright for someone on a tight budget, but it's last-generation technology. Perhaps answer these questions and we'll see what we can do:

1) What's your total budget for a computer, seeing as you have said you're going to upgrade the graphics card anyway?
2) What games are you intending to play? Give us some specific titles you want to be able to run.
3) What graphic software? Again, specific titles.

Answer these, and we can do some research on the specifications required to give you an idea of a good system to suit your needs.

:)

chancy4342

chancy4342

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
i want to keep it under 600 hundred dollars
im planing on playing THe Sims 2,Call of Duty 4, and Company of Heros
and im was planing on buying photoshop CS2 off ebay

i was thinking about building a computer,but i dont want to put the procesor on the mobo cause i think id screw it up.Or is there a way to buy them already together?

Alt Ctrl Delete

Alt Ctrl Delete

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
try and get a core 2 duo, and 2 gigs of ram if possible.

chancy4342

chancy4342

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
is a 2.33 GHz duel core procesor better then a single core 3.2 procesor?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
I would say yes, but it depends where you are looking. There's much more to a processor than just the GHz. Can you give me some links?

After doing some research, I have to say it seems an extremely tight budget for the programs you want to run. Are you definitely firm on the $600?

chancy4342

chancy4342

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
ok what about this setup could it play the games i want?

Hard Drive:160 GB(will buy second once PC is complete)
Video Card:GeForce 8600GT 256mb 128 bit GDDR3
Memory: 1 GB(might upgrade to 2 for my birthday)
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz

Edited by chancy4342, 16 October 2007 - 08:36 PM.

chancy4342

chancy4342

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
is this a good computer

PROCESSOR:AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core 6000+
OPERATING SYSTEM:Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium
MONITOR:No Monitor
MEMORY:1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 2DIMMs
HARD DRIVE:320GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
OPTICAL DRIVE:Dual Drives: 48X CDRW/DVD COMBO Drive + 16X DVD+/-RW Drive
VIDEO CARD:NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Integrated Graphics GPU
SOUND:Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
KEYBOARD & MOUSE:Dell USB Keyboard and Dell Optical USB Mouse
FLOPPY & MEDIA READER:No Floppy Drive Included
MODEM & WIRELESS:56K PCI Data Fax Modem

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Looks pretty nice, actually. The integrated graphics won't get you anywhere with games, though, and 2GB RAM would help.

chancy4342

chancy4342

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
ya i know i was planning on getting a better video card of ebay or somthing

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
You need to be careful purchasing components of eBay, it's easy to get stung with something faulty... We don't recommend it here.

Also you need to consider, if you purchase a system and then upgrade the graphics card, there's a good chance you would need to upgrade the PSU as well.

chancy4342

chancy4342

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
oh ok thanks what kind of PSU should i get for a XFX PVT80GGHD4 GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported HDCP Video Card

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817371002

Something like this should do it just nicely.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
You have to be careful with buying prebuilts and planning on upgrading. Some will not let you upgrade the PSU due to the odd size of the unit it may have. It is more common now to be able to upgrade it but it was once nearly unheard of. Also many pre-built computers won't come with a PCI-Ex16 expansions slot. Check the specs closely.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts

i want to keep it under 600 hundred dollars

i was thinking about building a computer,but i dont want to put the procesor on the mobo cause i think id screw it up.Or is there a way to buy them already together?

I've been thinking about this some more, and I really think you'd get a better system building one yourself. We can help you choose good components. If you don't think you'd be up to it, do you have a technically-inclined friend who might be able to help you? If you are in any way technically-inclined yourself, as long as you take it easy and follow the instructions, you should be fine.

And yes, there is a way to buy them together, but they are pretty much welded together and not upgradeable (i.e. not recommended).

Titan's last comment is pretty truthful, you do need to double-check all the specs, usually "cheap" computers (prebuilds etc) are trying to pass off last-generation components that are left over.