Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

can this setup play games and use some editing software

• Please log in to reply

turn 5

turn 5

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
I am going to be honest with you.
I really don't think you can build a good quality game/editing machine for 600$.

Plus now is not the best time to be building a gaming PC because of Vista and the fact not all hardware is
ready for it.

Many hard core gamers are in pickle right now because many games don't work with Vista.

If you adjust your budget to say 700$ I think you have a much better chance of having a good quality
gaming PC.

Advertisements

chancy4342

chancy4342

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
well i checked the computers specs and it has an available PCI-Ex16

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
How about the PSU specifications, are you able to find those out?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Plus now is not the best time to be building a gaming PC because of Vista and the fact not all hardware is
ready for it.

Huh? :)
Vista will have been out for a year in January, this has given software engineers plenty of time to create new drivers so that existing hardware will work fine on vista.
The only possible reason to delay a build right now would be the fact that in November there will be a number of hardware releases, not because of vista.

Also regarding this build, normally you can get better hardware on a prebuilt system with a low budget(due to manufactures order large quantities of product), with back-friday coming along, a prebuiltt might be worth looking into as I'm sure bestbuy will have some really attractive deals.
James

Edited by james_8970, 24 October 2007 - 10:49 PM.

chancy4342

chancy4342

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
the psu is a 330w

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
To power a 8800GTS, your looking at spending about 80$ on a quality PSU.
James

chancy4342

chancy4342

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
ok i was starting to look more into building my own PC and im pretty sure i could do it and i picked out the items i wanted and my parents said they would pay half of the computer so my new budget is $900

Heres the items i wanted and there links

Proc.:AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor
Mobo:ASUS M2R32-MVP AM2 AMD 580X CrossFire ATX AMD Motherboard
Memory:Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory
Hard Drive:Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KSRTL 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Drive:ASUS Black 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DVD-E616A3T OEM
PSU:Broadway Com Corp Okia-black-650 ATX 650W Power Supply 115/230 V cUL , UL , CSA
Video Card:ASUS EN8500GT TOP/HTP/256M GeForce 8500GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
Case:APEVIA X-JUPITER G-Type X-JUPITERG-MG Metallic Gray Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case

theres my setup the total is about $774 and im looking into buying Windows Vista Home Premium and it should work with all these items.

If someone who has good computer building skills could check this over and make sure it will all work together i checked it myself buy i might of missed something and if you have any suggestions please make them

Edited by chancy4342, 30 October 2007 - 08:38 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi chancy4342, I have to admit this looks like a much better option so far. I do have a few suggestions in regards to your build.

As I understand it, the $900 is to include the computer tower and an operating system, but you will use your current monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers... The Newegg website seems to be down for me at the moment, so I can post links to other products next time.

That power supply is not a recommended choice, just look at the reviews it has! The two reviews I just read said that it blew up on them... Try looking for an Antec, Silverstone, Thermaltake, BFG Tech, Cooler Master, Seasonic... There are more brands, but I would recommend the Antec True Power Trio for a 650W. It's highly efficient and very high-quality.

The 8500GT is a very average card, and no good for gaming :) If you are looking to get any decent frame rates, you should be looking at either an 8800GT, 8800GTS (320MB), or head down to a high-end DX9 card like a Radeon X1950 Pro or an Nvidia 7900GS. The DX9 cards will play the games you have listed up top very nicely :)

A DVD Burner is very cheap, you can pick one up for around $30. I use and recommend Pioneer, I find they're good quality. That way you can burn stuff - the drive you have listed only reads.

And my last thought is the motherboard is certified for Crossfire, which utilizes ATI graphics cards. You are intending (I guess) to go with an Nvidia card, so you could most probably "downgrade" the motherboard for something a little cheaper that still gives excellent performance.

Either someone else may recommend some other options, or I will next time Newegg works for me. I think it's just a high-bandwidth problem at the moment, because one page just loaded after 5 minutes...

Cheers :)

chancy4342

chancy4342

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
whats a good mobo then that should work with all the things i already have listed?