Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

log on help XP

• Please log in to reply

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hello,

I have looked on here and tried looking on Net . . . I keep chasing ADHD rabbits! I need some log on advice with my Win XP. I set the first log on as admin, set up new ones for others in the house. The new ones didn't show everything they had already downloaded/set up.
What do I need to do to have admin as the controlling setting. How do I set up "new" users with their own password and let them access all the "general" files?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If you want files to be accessible across all user accounts, put them in the appropriate folders of the All Users account.
So if you put a shortcut to somewhere in the All Users -> Desktop folder, that will appear on everybody's desktop.

The All Users Account lives under C:\Documents and Settings.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
I apologize. I must not be as computer savvy as I thought! Sorry, in this setting I for sure am a NEWBY!

I am rather sure I have short cuts in the Shared Documents folder (My Computer>Shared Documents)

You are saying it should go in - this is how I work it on my XP - (My Computer>C>Documents and Settings>All Users) or do I go further to Shared Documents and Desktop??

Since we have used this computer for about 1 1/2 years without log on everything had been easily accessible. I set up Admin User log on and now everything is THERE only. How do I get Everything (TONS of songs, photos etc) over to the correct User names? I'm not talking about dividing songs and photos. I just can't deal with daughter who just can't live without access to her songs - - - and I'm really not sure how she got all those songs but that might be another thread!!! (how do you find out where songs have come from? No, Limewire is not on computer. I've blocked it somewhere thru Control Panel)

Also - do I understand I should NOT use Admin as my regular way on? If that is true (why?) I must set up my own User name and move all of my stuff into my folders?

So if I go (My Comp>C>Doc and Set>Daughter's User Name>Windows>System) I could remove anything I didn't want her to use or see? Or am I getting ahead of myself?

Whew - I feel like I'm asking a whole lot of typical just-getting-started questions! Maybe there should be a section on how to first set up your computer!!
And maybe another for Parents information!! Heck, even a major discussion thread that might only have a link to a site that has already set up such info!

I'll stop there. I appreciate any help and suggestions!
bamakodaker

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Shared Documents appear in everybody's Shared Documents folder in their My Computer. Everything in All Users -> Desktop will appear on each user's desktop.

You should not use the Adminstrator account for daily use. This is supposed to be an emergency "hidden" account for use in Safe Mode - to use it in normal mode is a blatant security hole because its the one account that every XP machine is guaranteed to have from an attacker/hacker's point of view. Plus of course if it gets damaged you'll have no way of making new accounts and therefore the end result may be to have to wipe the machine.

Data and stuff that is created under the Administrator account usually lives under C:\Documents and Settings\Default User (hidden folder) and its appropriate subfolders. You can drag the contents of the My Documents folder under the Default User to the My Documents folder of the account which it belongs to. However these are only created when the account is first logged into - creating it from Windows isn't enough.