Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problem with monitor

• Please log in to reply

BTPH

BTPH

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
hi

ive just replaced my motherboard (the capacitors on the old one broke) and now everything seems to work, except the monitor, ive plugged it into my graphics card (which is fairly new) and nothing happens, then i plug it into the port on the motherboard itself and still nothing, its not the monitor because ive plugged it into my dads computer and it works fine,

this was the first time ive replaced a motherboard so it is possible that i didnt do something i should have (what that is i dont know)

can anyone offer any suggestions?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what's the motherboard make and model?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Remove the external video card, connect monitor to the integrated video, clear the bios & try again.

If that doesn't do it, remove all drives & PCI cards, clear cmos & try again.

It would help if you said if theres any power to the mobo - ie fans spinning, leds on, drives spinning up etc. Also whether you hear any beeps.

Also, are you certain that the board supports your CPU & RAM?

BTPH

BTPH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
the motherboard is a Gigabyte 8S661FXMP-RZ

the fans are working all drives powering up, ive got a p4 an the motherboard is meant to support it (thats wot they said at the store) and i bought new kingston ram (256) because the new motherboard wouldnt support the old ram, everything seems to be fine, im going to try removing all the cards now an ill let you know wot happens,

Edited by BTPH, 16 April 2005 - 05:55 PM.

BTPH

BTPH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
ive removed all the cards but i cant clear the cmos, i know u gotta remove the battery but i, embarassingly cant get it out

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
No you don't. Look for a 3 pin jumper near the battery. It should be called something like Clear_CMOS or Clear_PW or clear RTC etc. If theres no names, its normally JP1 or similar - should be jumper closest to the battery at any rate.

Move the jumper cap from pins 1-2 & place it over pins 2-3 for about 10 secs. Then moved it back to 1-2. Reboot system, bios should now be cleared

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Just checked your mobo manual - its called CLR_CMOS so was pretty close!

BTPH

BTPH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
i found it, but i dont get it, im looking an where it says clear cmos there arent any pins, im not even 100% sure wot a jumper is, i think its the little plastic part that sometimes covers the pins but i dont know

<Edit>
i gtg for a few hours, i got an assignment due in tomorrow 9AM so i have to go out to finish it with my group, ill be back as soon as i can, thank you for the help so far, i hope when im done it will work

thanks,
ben

Edited by BTPH, 16 April 2005 - 07:10 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Right then..... a jumper is a small plastic rectangular shaped cap (usually black but may be red/green/white/blue or whatever). It's job is to make a connection between 2 pins.

I've just checked the gigabyte manual again & actually it's only got 2 pins! (first non-proprietry board I've come across that has this).

So ignore last post, when you look at the clr_cmos pins, you should see 2 bare pins (with no jumper). If there is a jumper, it should only be inserted on one of the pins, not across both.

To clear the cmos therefore, borrow a jumper from somewhere else on the board (unless of course there is one on a single pin at clr_cmos). Make sure when you borrow a jumper, you are absolutely sure of its exact position before you moved it, so you can replace it again after).

Place this jumper over the 2 pins. You'll notice 2 little holes on the underside of jumper that fit securely over the pins. Leave this in place for 10 secs, then return the jumper to its original position on the motherboard

Clutch13

Clutch13

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
How many Watts do u have on ur psu?

BTPH

BTPH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
i am not sure how many watts it is, but ive checked in a few other posts and found something you started clutch, (http://www.geekstogo..._on-t15069.html)so now im on the assumption that i need a new PSU and ill be taking it into the shop today and having it looked at

thank you samm for your help and thank you clutch for the other thread, ill let you guys know if it worked out

BTPH

BTPH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
okay it wasnt psu, when i took the cpu from my old motherboard it was stuck onto the fan, which bent some of the pins, then when i found i couldnt take it off the fan i just put it on as is, that was my prb an now i need a new cpu, bloody [bleep] it would have jus been cheaper to buy a new computer, first i bought a new mobo an harddrive then i got new ram, now a new cpu, when will it end