Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I view image files as thumbnails?

• Please log in to reply

David Lewis

David Lewis

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
How do I view image files as thumbnails using My Computer?

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
In Windows Explorer, click the "Views" Icon and select Thumbnails.

Ron

David Lewis

David Lewis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
That makes the first few image files appear as thumbnails. The rest of the image files show up as small icons inside a square.

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
The rest of the pics are in another folder, open it up.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

The rest of the pics are in another folder, open it up.

Yep.

Ron

David Lewis

David Lewis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
All the image files are in the same folder. What often happens when I use Windows Explorer to view the folder contents is that the progress bar displays, "Extracting FILENAME.jpg" for a little while, then the message disappears leaving only the first few files (everything up to FILENAME) showing up as thumbnails.

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

"Extracting FILENAME.jpg"

What.. are they zipped or compressed? Please do a screenshot of a file that wont show as thumbnail, and post it here.

David Lewis

David Lewis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Windows Explorer screenshot

Image files up to "Ava Gardner.jpg" display as thumbnails, but the rest show up as an icon inside a box.

None of the files are compressed or zipped. It could be Explorer is trying to extract thumbnails from the "thumbs.db" file.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
If these jpeg images contain errors, Windows Explorer will have problems displaying the thumbnails as it could not make thumbnails of the images. This will even happen on a web page where images fail to appear as the jpeg images contains errors. I always know for sure when Photoshop refuses to open a jpeg after a drag and drop because it tells me it contains errors and can not be displayed. You could try opening the images not displaying using the application that made them and try re-saving under different conditions.

Ron