Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Problems after Upgrades

• Please log in to reply

Jaamie

Jaamie

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Yesterday, I turned on Automatic Updates and I wound up installing 19 upgrades. Then I downloaded Excel SP3 upgrade. then the download that allows Excel 2003 to open Excel 2007 xlsx files.

Now, I have problems all over the place.
Outlook Express starts but gives a blank screen
Task Masnager won't start
Windows won't shut down
Excel Programs run but can't terminate properly

I tried a Restore but it never finished. When I manually shutdown and restarted it told me that because of an incomplete shutdown the restore could not take place.

Don't know what to try next??

Thanks, Jim..

Advertisements

Curryjl

Curryjl

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
hrmm... have u tried booting into safe mode and restart? That should allow you to complete a restart and hopefully use windows restore :)

Jaamie

Jaamie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the response.

In Safe Mode I was able to backup prior to all the recent upgrades but I still have similar problems.

I can't open Add/Remove Programs. Many programs will not load. You get the hourglass then nothing happens then the hourglass disappears. Windows Explorer seems to work. Still cant get to Inbox in Outlook Express.

What next?

Thanks for the help.

Jim..

Curryjl

Curryjl

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
if i were you i would probably try this to make sure its not an upgrade problem...start>run>msconfig>disable all programs in start up. then try running task manager outlook etc etc.... because if it works then its probably not an upgrade problem, but more likely a virus running in the background.

Jaamie

Jaamie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Curryjl,

What I did was to Restore further back to last Wed. Not sure why but everything works again.

Thanks again..

Jim..

Curryjl

Curryjl

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
no problemo :)