Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with complet system functioning

• Please log in to reply

dwilliams1227

dwilliams1227

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've let this computer get trashed for too long. It has had multiple users who installed various programs of questionable authenticity for downloading torrents, music, streaming TV, playing games and converting videos. There's a bunch of Red Kawa, Crawler, Avisynth, UTorrent and a program from cybertvpartner.com that Mozilla warned me about. These sites have access to my computer as well. I'd rather not get rid of the Red Kawa programs and they actually seem to be doing the least harm. Oh, I also lost my product key and stupidly downloaded a trial program from insanekeyfinder- it didn't work and I can't uninstall the entire program now. I'd like to do a adaware scan but I don't know how.

I have questions about cookies. I seem to have some suspicious ones and others that I visited years ago. Whats the deal with cookies? Can I remove them all except for Mozilla?

I am connected to a wireless home network that used to always get excellent connection but recently my browser has been like, dial-up slow, sometimes losing signal for a random amount of time and sometimes just for a moment and the network connection wizard says "acquiring IP address" which it already has and never used to do. I also have a laptop right next to this one that has no connectivity problems.

I need to delete some serious stuff because my system is low on memory but I can;t get rid of my music files. Defragmenting doesn't seem to do much at all and I've gone on deleting sprees that didn't turn out so well. I'm not really sure which programs are necessary.

Please help!

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
dwilliams1227,

Given that you have multiple users on the PC, and given that it's been subject to torrents and possibly other forms of file-sharing, as well as your other symptoms, I think you ought to consider posting in our malware removal forum. I would start here, and then follow the directions to post a hijackthis log. Don't post it here - post it in that forum, with the same explanation you've given here. One of our helpers will help make sure you're malware-free.

sari