Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network "administrator" problem

• Please log in to reply

anonymousroadkill

anonymousroadkill

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok... so I'm a nube... but...

I've just moved into a shared house and their shared internet connection. One of my housemates has a network card that (he says) won't allow him to share files but DOES allow him to move files forcibly onto the other computers on the network, even when those folders aren't ticked "allow other users to change files". I had been assured he could only do this within folders that were shared on the network. I've subsequently found evidence that he can get into and change :) ANY folders on my PC. I'm assuming there's nothing to stop him from deleting everything, looking at personal info etc.... What can I do? Has anyone ever heard of anything like this?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The network card has nothing to do with sharing capabilities, its all software controlled.
It is possible to share an entire drive and from there navigate into certain folders and what not, but typically this is not allowed for Documents & Settings, Windows or Program Files. These would need to be separately shared or their internal folders shared.