Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleting Files and Large number of icons on Desktop

• Please log in to reply

spacealien

spacealien

• Pip
  • 1 posts
First, I am a UNIX programmer not Windows.

Question 1:
I have ALWAYS been told that when you delete a file - you are actually "forgetting" where it is. So, deleting a file should be quick. In Unix - I see that. I can delete a HUGE file lickaty split. However, it takes me about 15-20 minutes to delete a 2 or 3 gig file from Windows. I can copy the file from my hard drive to my external harddrive MUCH quicker. Why in the WORLD does it take that long? While it is doing it I can't run programs like emule or watch a movie. I can play solitaire. :)

Question 2:
I have a top of the line (or at least it was 2 years ago) Laptop - Vaio 2 Gig Memory, 2.26 Ghz, etc. My computer is VERY slow. Even selecting 100 files and right click then play takes a long time. Someone told me that if you have a LOT of icons on your desktop that it will slow the computer down (I have 87 icons on my desktop). WHY? Is that true? In case you are wondering I have run Virus scan and Ad-Aware and nothing comes up fishy. I just don't understand why it is so slow.

Question 3:
My laptop gets hot after a couple hours using it. Very hot. I can hear the fan running. Do I need to worry about it? Usually I will power down and then wait 1/2 hour.

Thanks,

spacealien

Advertisements

gumby701

gumby701

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
1. Erm...Windows sucks? I'm not sure on that one....

2. 100 files is a lot for the computer to keep track of...I don't find that surprising...

3. Heh, nothing to worry about, but I did see this thing at Office Depot...you plug it in to the USB port in your laptop and it has two fans to cool your laptop/lap.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
1) A file that is deleted from within Windows is simply marked on the drive as free space. So you can often run some file recovery software many months later and find the original file fully intact. Windows will mark each sector that the file previously occupied as free, and as a 2Gb file takes up many of the things at 4k a sector, it will naturally take a while. The behaviour can also be attributed to if you're doing something else the heads are having to do twice as much work which they don't if you're copying externally. Also remember to add other overheads such as virus scanners and what not.

2) Many icons on the desktop can and does slow systems down. When system refreshes and cache changes occur, Windows has to look at all those entries on the desktop again when it comes back into view. It is recommended practice to keep a desktop clutter-free where possible, or make new folders off it to store important things.

3) It will do. Normal behaviour.