Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cursor jumping while typing since new Hard Drive installed

• Please log in to reply

hawthorn

hawthorn

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Hi.

I've just installed a new hard drive, and have XP Pro on it. I used to have regular XP Home, but laptop wouldnt boot from the recovery disks I made, thats another story! Its a brand new hard drive, and then XP Pro installed, and the guy went online and downloaded whatever drivers he needed.

Anyway since the fresh installation, I notice when I type in forums or in emails (OE), the cursor randomly jumps to a different location. If your not paying attention to the screen you end up messing up your message.

Ive googled this and seen many other people who had this problem too, but no explanation. Often I noticed it was after a fresh install/reinstall also.

Why would it suddenly happen after a fresh instalation? Do I need to uninstall XP Pro and somehow try to get recovery disks for my old OS to work?

one other thing, it doesnt seem to happen when I type a page in Open Office (I no longer have Word!), only in forums, and especially in Outlook Express.

Thanks

h

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Usually caused by faulty keyboard. New hard drive and installation should have nothing to do with it.

hawthorn

hawthorn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
But it was perfect until the new hard drive; never any problem of any description.

h

warrendubz

warrendubz

• Pip
  • 7 posts
is the mouse a usb, ps2 or the touchpad(if laptop)?

hawthorn

hawthorn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Its a usb wired mouse. But i unplugged the mouse and still had the problem. Its not the mouse cursor its the cursor as I type, that moves.
Sometimes also the actual window Im typing in closes, and i have to re open it. Weird.

There is a touch pad but I dont use it.

h

warrendubz

warrendubz

• Pip
  • 7 posts
try uninstalling the device driver and reinstalling it.

If you could try and find the extact same driver that you had on the other OS that would be best.

on secind thought most usb mice dont really need driver they mostly use pnp tech but getting the proper device driver might rule out the possibility of a driver misconfig

is it a microsoft generic mouse, one of the ones that says microsoft on the part that faces the user?

Edited by warrendubz, 16 October 2007 - 08:28 PM.

hawthorn

hawthorn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
You see i dont think its anything to do with the mouse at all. Its not the mouse pointer thats moving, its the cursor on the page where Im typing. The mouse arrow is behaving! So I think that rules out the mouse.

The actual cursor where Im typing suddenly disappears to somewhere else in the text, and occasionally the window even closes!

h

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
You said this laptop had a touchpad. I have had issues before with laptops with touchpads that sound exactly like what is happening to you. It seems that the touchpad was sensitive enough that if my thumb barely touched it while typing, it would move the cursor to someplace else in the document. I'm wondering if the touch pad had been disabled, and with the installation of the new hard drive and drivers being downloaded if the settings somehow changed. I don't currently have a laptop, so I'm not sure how to disable the touchpad, but if it can be done it might be worth a shot.

warrendubz

warrendubz

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I would not rule out the mouse. I have a microsoft usb mouse that came with one of my computers that causes the cursor to jump to the upper left of the screen at random times. I switched it out with an old PS2 mouse that I had and it never happened again.

hawthorn

hawthorn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Sari

Thanks but I dont think its that. The touchpad wasnt disables previously. Also as Im typing now if I brush off the touchpad, its the mouse cursor that moves, the text cursor doesnt!!

h