Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP hangs

• Please log in to reply

dlw

dlw

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
XP hangs even though Task Manager shows System Idle Process at 97%.
There seems to be no ryme nor reason; the sys just hangs.
I'll close a program and it hangs. Different programs.

How do I keep programs from starting at startup?
EG: Skype.

AVG virus shows no problems.
Ran Spybot - no problems.

Where do I start looking to solve the problem.
I know this isn't much to go on but it's all I have.

dlw

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi dlw...

How does the machine run in Safe Mode?

I don't use Skype, so I don't know if you can set it not to start with Windows using it's Preferences or not. You might look and see if there is an icon for it in the Start folder (Start > All Programs > Start folder)...if you find it there, you can just delete the icon and it should stop opening. If you find no icon there, click Start, then Run, type msconfig and click "Ok". Click on the "Startup" tab and look in the list of startup applications for an entry for Skype...if you find one, remove the tick from the box next to it and Apply the change. If you make a change here, you will receive a Selective startup dialog when you restart...this is normal. Tick the box to not show it again and click "Ok".

wannabe1

dlw

dlw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
I haven't tried to run in safe mode.

I don't use Skype that much so I just deleted it.
Might reinstall after solving this problem.

I happened again earlier. I closed a progam by clicking on the x in the upper left corner and it froze.
The hour glass was showing and I could move it around but that was all. The task bar did not pop up.
Right click did nothing. It took right at 31minutes before I could use it again (I timed it.) That's what it does.
When it freezes I can wait or do a ctrl+alt+del.

dlw

Edited by dlw, 16 October 2007 - 09:47 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Run the machine in Safe Mode for a bit and see if the problem persists. To start in Safe Mode, restart the machine and start tapping the F8 key until you see an Advanced Boot Options screen. Use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode and press Enter.

This will take a few minutes to load...be patient.

Let me know if it hangs in Safe Mode, too.

Curryjl

Curryjl

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Boot into safe mode which usually requires f8 or some other key. From there click start>run>msconfig>disable all startup programs. From there restart your pc into normal mode. This should rid the processes of running at 97% unless it's a virus which is loading into RAM from startup as a service or some other way.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It's the system idle process that's at 97%. The processor is not in use at the time of the hangs. I'd like to leave as many processes running as possible for the moment.

Curryjl

Curryjl

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Oh, sorry my mistake misread... Hrmm... sounds like it could possibly be a hardware problem if it's hanging. If you don't see any malware, spyware, viruses, etc... I would make sure nothing is overheating and all the components are connected correctly. Copy and paste me the processes that are running or send me a picture of a screen shot to Edit to remove email address.... Thanks

Edited by frantique, 17 October 2007 - 03:57 AM.

dlw

dlw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
The sys ran all day yesterday with no problems.
Let's see how it does today.

All I did was remove Skype.
Maybe there was a problem there. I don't know.

I'm just glad it's working correctly... so far.

Thanks for the input.

dlw