Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Embedded Excel chart becomes an object

• Please log in to reply

rosieinpensacola

rosieinpensacola

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My office frequently deals with excel charts embedded in Word. Periodically we need to edit these charts only to find out they have become an object/picture. Is there any way to convert an object into excel once again and how do we prevent this from happening? It isn't an every day occurrence but it certainly happens more than we would like. We use Windows XP Professional, Microsoft Office 2003 and have 9 computers on the server. Thanks in advance for your help.

Advertisements

jester620

jester620

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
quick suggestion off the top of my head... When you Double-Click on the chart, does it become editable? It should look like MS Excel running within MS Word.

Like I said, just a thought. Sometimes the simple suggestions work...

rosieinpensacola

rosieinpensacola

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
No, when you double-click on it the format picture toolbar pops up like it was a scanned picture.

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
Hello rosieinpensacola,

I am hoping this information will help you. Please see this Microsoft article

Edited by jtscustomcomputers, 30 October 2007 - 04:07 PM.

rosieinpensacola

rosieinpensacola

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
When I go to Edit Object it says that the object is corrupt or no longer available. I am pretty sure there isn't going to be any way to fix it when this happens and it has happened again since originally posting this. Just another Microsoft glitch, I guess.

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
Hello rosieinpensacola,

I would have to guess that the data which word is trying to retrieve from excel sheet wherever located may be where the problem exists. If you can check your filepath to your excel sheet, also check to be sure sheet was not renamed and information in excel source is up to date. I would do all my chart (data)changes within excel itself from orginal file, you may run into problem if you were to change chart type.

Edited by jtscustomcomputers, 31 October 2007 - 01:22 PM.