Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New system

• Please log in to reply

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
So, here goes...

I want to build a new system, however i am a taurus and we are known to be fussy with everything we do.

I do not like seagate [some might tell me 'they the best'] etc etc yada yada i do not want seagate. I am a WD fan :)
I like AMD but my senses tell me Intel is killing them at the moment with Dual and Quad core
Now, besides all that nonsense, i have a budget but i am willing to stretch it a bit...

I know you supposed to follow a budget but i would like a few suggestions of a reliable pc that i can overclock and later add more ram and maybe a 2nd gfx card [if SLI/Crossfire is worth it] I am not looking for a monster PC coz i aint got cash for that. Aynyone can build a good PC with money. So, here is an article i read in the PC Format SA issue a while back

They have the following to report:

CPU : Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 [They overclocked it to 2.86Ghz and temp was @ 27degrees celcius with a Zalman Fatal1ty cooler]
Board : Asus P5W DH Deluxe or Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 or Intel D975XBX [Personally i prefer the Asus]

And that's basically all the article says, nothing much but it looks so good, not so?

Now i ran into a problem, i have to use a ATI gfx card, hmmm... I wonder, do i have to use a ATI card? I don't swing either way when it comes to gfx cards, but yet again i want a good stable card not something that seems to break after a while etc.

ssooo.... anybody feel up to the challenge of giving me some place i can go look at custom builds that have been tested or something?

Appriciated :)

Edited by Adrenalin, 16 October 2007 - 01:03 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I'm not a taurus but I'm fussy :)

Either way, to answer your question, I'm not too sure about a custom builds place. Google would be your friend here.

However, you can most probably pick the parts you want yourself to give you an idea. If you want a Western Digital hard drive, then choose a Western Digital one. At the moment, Intel is ahead for processors, but this could change in the next few months, as both Intel and AMD are soon to release a new range. Those motherboards are good, but they have last-generation chipsets. You should be looking for a P35 or X38 board, these are the new Intel ones out now. AM2 is for AMD.

And no, SLI/Crossfire isn't worth the price/performance justification. This technology is only for "monster PC's" (in your words), which you say you don't want. What makes you think you can only use an ATI graphics card?

I don't know of any online computer sites for your country, so maybe you could post links so we could check parts?

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Well,

www.buycompters.co.za is one place, another is www.computersonly.co.za

I don't see the need for 2 PCI-e slots now either, i was sitting at work thinking about this build. I would like something that i can upgrade and i was also thinking about the chipsets on that board, you mentioned they are outdated, which makes perfect sense. I would like a ver good motherboard, that is the crux of the system no? Also i will be getting either Corsair or OCZ memory. 2 x 1GB sticks at the moment are R999 @ computersonly.co.za [About $143]. So, i have narrowed it down. 2 PCI-e 16x slots would be great, but not a total must. 4 x DDR2 slots, and if DDR3 is vastly better, then i will look at that but yet again i doubt it.

I have looked through these forums on system building and from what i gather, Dual core/Quad Core is not really a big performance booster. So why not get a AMD CPU for a bit less and run that? There are so many options right now. Let me compile a small list of what I think i should buy and you tell me what you think

Case : Antec P180 [Coz it looks so good and the reviews are good] Check it here
Motherboard : errr, some suggestions? With a good chipset on it? [P35 maybe]
PSU : perhaps a corsair hx620w?
Ram : OCZ Check it here
Graphics Card : Really need help here [ATi Radeon HD2600XT 256mb DDR4] or [Asus GeForce 7600GT, no DX10 support like the ATi]
HDD : I have a Western Digital 200GB that will do for now. Sata drive
DVD-RW : Got an LG 18x Lightscribe
Monitor : Asus 22" Widescreen Monitor Check it here

And I think that is about it hey? Speakers etc are not that important to me, i have a home theatre that i will be using for music

So how good does this sound?

Edited by Adrenalin, 17 October 2007 - 11:07 AM.