Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card Noise/Rattle

• Please log in to reply

fowlermj

fowlermj

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Yesterday I bought a BFG 8600 GT OC and installed it. It runs great and everything seems to be fine... except...

The noise. I have had video cards before and come to expect the sort of winding-up noise when loading a game and while playing. This noise is much, much more annoying. First of all, the fan seems to run non-stop. I don't know if my old AGP Nvidia card from 2003 was doing that, but I never heard it if it was (until running a game). Anyway, while it runs it spends about 10 seconds making a normal, not-too-loud fan noise, followed by five seconds of the same with an added rattle. The cycle repeats over and over and is loud enough to hear and be pretty annoying.

Is there anything that can be done? I don't see anything obviously wrong (like it could be that easy, ha) and I'd rather not have to hassle with exchanging it unless that's really what makes the most sense.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi fowlermj! It really does sound like you should exchange it, the fan shouldn't be making rattling noises. If it was just noisy (i.e. loud), then that is okay, but a rattle? I would contact Newegg for a replacement.