Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard disk fail

• Please log in to reply

DJ_JEWLZ

DJ_JEWLZ

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I was wondering if someone could help me with my situation. I have a desktop that was working perfectly fine yesterday, and then today when I went to use it I have a message saying Primary master hard disk fail. I restarted the computer and when it's restarting all you hear is a clicking sound...then it says Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter.

My biggest concernn is I have pictures saved on that computer that I wanna retrive. and it wont go pass the boot from cd page. i would really appreciate the help. I have tons of pictures that I do not want to loose. Thank you

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Many years ago i had a HD die on a Pentium 200 computer which caused me to lose years of data and pictures because i did not backup everything. This caused me to think about backups and got me started in doing backups of everything i did not want to lose. The CD-RW was a godsend for this and since then i usually go a bit overboard on them.

While it may be possible to access the hard drive by putting it in another computer as a slave drive, it sounds like the drive has a mechanical problem and all the data may be lost. I would try the slave method and by using some of the recovery software available you may be able to recover your data. I only usually have a 15-20 % chance of recovery when mechanical problems are present.

SRX660

DJ_JEWLZ

DJ_JEWLZ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
what is the slave method?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts
He means to have you slave it in another computer. Find another computer (a friend) and install/ attach as a 2nd drive to attempt recovery.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Unfortunately I have lost years of home pictures from my digital camera, because of this exact same problem. I was unable to have the drive recognised at all. I have kept the drive in the hope that one day I can afford a professional recovery service.

If the slave method does not work, then there's pretty much nothing that can be done. Make sure you learn your lesson (like I did) and make backups of your data! Buy an external hard drive, burn copies to DVD's, email important documents to yourself. You can never have too many copies of the things that are important to you.

DJ_JEWLZ

DJ_JEWLZ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
well it looks like this thing started reading my HD... but it's asking me for a system disk...I have my certificate of authenticity but I do not have the software... does anyone know were I can get a copy... is windows xp home edition

i don't know if this might help but it also allows me to access the Setup Utility

Edited by DJ_JEWLZ, 16 October 2007 - 05:17 PM.