Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gaming Laptop?

• Please log in to reply

jorben31

jorben31

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Well coming next fall ill be off to college so I figured it would be a good idea to start researching laptops.

I love computer games so i concluded that i would get a beefed-up laptop to handle DX10 games i.e. Crysis, CoD 4

However, all i hear is that gaming laptops drain so much power and dont last long unplugged. But I cant really think of a reason why i wont be near a plug or need to spend an extra $1200 to get a good desktop and another $800 to get a decent laptop.

So i looked at an HP Pavilion

Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T7700 (2.40 GHz, 4 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
17.0" WXGA+ High-Definition Ultra HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1440 x 900)
2GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS
Networking Intel® PRO/Wireless 4965AGN Network Connection and Bluetooth™
Hard Drive 120GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW with Double Layer Support
Primary Battery High Capacity 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
Productivity Software Microsoft® Office Home and Student 20

FOR: $1,894

or

ASUS G Series G2S-A1 NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T7500(2.20GHz) 17.1" Wide UXGA 2GB DDR2 667 160GB 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT

FOR: $1,998

So is it a good idea to get one of these or do you think that power will be an issue??

Also: Is the lithium battery for the hp that much of an upgrade for power???

Does anybody have expierence with a high end gaming laptop??

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Your looking at a 20-30 minute power life, on a good battery.
Honestly, a lot is going to change between now and next fall and I mean a lot. Intel already has plan to place quads core processors into laptops next year and will likely be out by the time you buy. One thing to keep in mind though, these laptops are by no means portable, what I mean by this, is that they weigh significantly more then your traditional laptop, so if you plan on carrying it around with you a lot this is something to consider.
My advise to you, keep up to date with technology, so you will be an informed buyer when you decide to make your large purchase. If you have any questions regarding the issue, post it here, I, as well as others would be more then happy to help out. :)
James

user error

user error

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have the Asus G2S Laptop. It is big and heavy, but it is a wonderful gaming machine. The battery doesn't last long, maximum of 3 hours really on battery saver mode. But it still looks good in that mode, and only hinders the machine a little. If you're looking for a "portable" solution for gaming, I would recommend this. Just try to find a spot to sit down near a power outlet. :)

Honestly though. You really might want to consider waiting. I've heard some pretty interesting things about SLI laptops and the like. Or just check out Alienware. They've got a couple models out that are really nice if you can afford.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
http://www.pioneerco...t...=15&id=2218

Quad-core with SLI? No problem! Why not include 3 hard drives in RAID 0 while we're at it? :) It's a bit expensive though (and in Australia)