Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can I make my Windows account require a password to delete the pas

• Please log in to reply

Mudkipboy

Mudkipboy

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
My sister keeps removing my password on the main account everybody uses. It doesn't need a password to get rid of a password, it just gives a Remove Password button or Cancel. On my own account that has it's password being taken away, it requires a password from me to change or delete it. I am doing this from Control Panel > User Accounts. How do I get The main account and the others to require a password to change anything about my password?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You don't get prompted for a password in order to remove a password if you're not logged into the account that you're removing the password from.

That is, say you have Fred and Bob as users.

Bob can remove his own password and get prompted for verification if he's deleting his password while logged into Bob.
Fred can remove Bob's password without any other prompts providing he's logged in as any other Administrator account except Bob's own account.

Likewise, Fred will be prompted if he tries to remove his own password, but Bob wouldn't if he tried to remove Fred's password.

Edited by Neil Jones, 16 October 2007 - 05:15 PM.

Mudkipboy

Mudkipboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
So, there is no way to keep anyone else from removing or changing my password? :)

warrendubz

warrendubz

• Pip
  • 7 posts
there is something you can do that might help. You can set the security policy to limit the type of passwords used in your user accounts.

Goto control panel
click on administrative tools (if you cant see it then click on classic view)
click on the local secuity policy.mmc
under account policy there is a folder labeled password policy
in that you can set several password security settings.

if you set the policy to meet complexity requirments you cannot have an account with a null password
if you set the policy minimum password length you cannot have an account with a null password

you have to be logged into administrator to be able to set security policies

for further learning you should try and setup a user config for your whole family. adding all neccessary accounts and providing them with certain rights. Remember this **do not use the built in admin account for everyday activities**
It is not intended for that. You should only log into the built in admin account for installs and changes to the workstation.

if your sister has access to you account she can change it. so make her a separate account with her own password and let her use that. Plus she can set it up the way se wants it.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Local Security Policies are only available in XP Professional, not XP Home or XP Media Center.
So to answer the original poster - if its XP Home, nothing you can do about it. XP Pro you can - see above post.

warrendubz

warrendubz

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Sorry, my bad I thought for sure that the home edititon had that ability. It has been awhile since I have had home edition running.

Edited by warrendubz, 17 October 2007 - 07:52 PM.