Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

random FPS spikes in games

• Please log in to reply

Gattcannon

Gattcannon

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey all. Just got a new emachine and my friend gave me his old video card. I play WoW and Team Fortress 2, which I can run both on pretty high settings and get good fps (in WoW 40-60).

The problem is, every few minutes, it just drops dramatically to about 5 for a few minutes. It happens in both games so I am thinking its a computer or card problem.

I am pretty computer illiterate but here are some specs that may help, just tell me if you need anything else. Thank you so much!~

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 10/16/2007, 18:21:02
Machine name: K-PC
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6000) (6000.vista_gdr.070627-1500)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gateway
System Model: T5234
BIOS: )Phoenix - Award WorkstationBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ (2 CPUs), ~2.1GHz
Memory: 1022MB RAM
Page File: 1694MB used, 598MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6000.16386 32bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 8400 GS
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0422&SUBSYS_23101682&REV_A1
Display Memory: 496 MB
Dedicated Memory: 241 MB
Shared Memory: 255 MB
Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll,nvwgf2um.dll
Driver Version: 7.15.0011.6369 (English)
DDI Version: 9Ex

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi Gattcannon, welcome to Geeks to Go!

Emachines, I've heard they aren't that great... Can I ask what Power Supply is in the system?

Curryjl

Curryjl

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Did your friend ever have any of the same problems and does the system your running have any lights like gaming LED's. If so do you see the dim down durin the time that you see the low fps. Sounds like a psu problem. Get the psu rating and watts and model then we should be able to fix the problem.

Gattcannon

Gattcannon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey guys thanks for the replies. My friend ran it in his emachine which is actually older than mine and it was flawless. The only LED is the blue circle around the power button I haven't checked yet if it dimmed, I haven't spiked yet in WoW XD. The model number is T5234. Would there be a way to find the PSU ratings and watts without opening the case?

Also, I contacted Nvidia and was told to update the motherboard chipset drivers. He also asked the watts of my power supply and the amperage on the +12v rail.

Again thanks for the quick replies and help =)

edit: Nothing seems to dim when the fps drop happens.

Edited by Gattcannon, 17 October 2007 - 03:40 PM.

Curryjl

Curryjl

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Just open up the case and tell us what you see on the side of the psu this should help in determining the problem and make sure all the connections are good sounds like a power surge which is strange have you tried a different outlet?

Gattcannon

Gattcannon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Alright, I opened it and copied down everything that I thought might be useful.

Model: ATX-300-12SE REV: D1R

Input: 100-127V-6A, 200-240V-3A 50/60 Hz

Output: +12V / 15A -12V / 0.8A

300W MAX +3.3V / 28A
+5V & +3.3V 180W MAX
+5V & +12V & +3.3V 288W MAX

Sorry if some is pointless but like I said I don't know much =(

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Well I'm not too sure if it is the cause of your problem with the random FPS spikes, but that power supply is definitely a problem. It needs to be upgraded to something with more watts and more amps on the +12V rail.

Curryjl

Curryjl

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
agreed you really need to upgrade but for the mean time try another outlet or try testing the current with a voltmeter if you know how? that is :) dont do anything dangerous

Gattcannon

Gattcannon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Haven't tried a new outlet I might do that in a bit. Just makes me mad my old computer never had problems like this just low fps now that I can actually get it high I have other problems =.=. One thing though, I have a power strip with my printer/speakers/comp/cable modem could this be some how affecting my power? Thanks for all your help guys.

Curryjl

Curryjl

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
hrmm i know the feeling get something u think will run what you want how you want and now it dont. Its kind of annoying... Do you by chance have any extra psu lying around the house if so whats the specs on those may be able to get it up and running tonight :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Try connecting your system straight into the wall outlet, see if that helps any.

Gattcannon

Gattcannon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well I plugged it directly into an outlet and used the power cord that actually came with the computer instead of my old one - nothing bad yet so lets hope it made a difference :)

Edit: Well it isn't as bad now but still pretty crappy. Meh, last question. What would be a decent upgrade that would allow me to play but not cost $9millon ^_^

Edited by Gattcannon, 17 October 2007 - 08:16 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Actually I'm not so sure that a power supply is the problem, like I've mentioned. How many processes are running? You can check by right-clicking on the task-bar and selecting Task Manager. There is a total down the bottom-left corner of the Processes tab.

EDIT: My thinking being that the 8400GS is not a very good card at all for games, and doesn't need a lot of power. It might still be causing some problems, in which case upgrading to a quality PSU with good efficiency may help - like this example.

Edited by FPVDriF6, 18 October 2007 - 12:33 AM.

Gattcannon

Gattcannon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Actually I'm not so sure that a power supply is the problem, like I've mentioned. How many processes are running? You can check by right-clicking on the task-bar and selecting Task Manager. There is a total down the bottom-left corner of the Processes tab.[/url].

54 processes