Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Computer Build - Bluescreens / Crashes

• Please log in to reply

Fyrex

Fyrex

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Alright I ordered the parts for my new computer and built it and everything started running fine.
I had a problem where the CPU was overheating, but I fixed that and set the memory to the proper voltage.
After that things seemed to be running great, no lag, I could play games for a long time without crashes. Randomly it would blue screen, but not often. I'm trying to find a solution to the problem but no luck so far, like just now I was playing TF2 I got a blue screen, I restarted my computer and it wouldnt boot up. I waited 30 minutes and then it started up but completely froze while loading my desktop. I had to wait another 30 mins before it would let me start up again, and I got a blue screen while loading everything. Im on my old computer now because it wouldnt start again (im waiting to try again). Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, I spent a lot on this rig, with advice from you all :).

Specs:
Mobo: EVGA nForce 680i SLI
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz 1333FSB
Memory: 2x 1024 MB Corsair Dominator 1066MHz
Video Card: EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB

Oh I also ran memtest for about 45 minutes, and I got a pass on the test, so the memory shouldn't be the problem.
The odd thing is that it'll run fine for a day or two of playing a lot, and I'll have no problems.. then suddenly something like this will keep me from playing randomly. Diffrent games, diffrent times.

Thanks,
Fyrex

Advertisements

Curryjl

Curryjl

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ok other than God probably not wanting you to play video I would suggest removing the cmos chip to reset the bios settings back to default. See if that clears up the blue screens and if its possible during one of these write down the code it gives you since those are very useful and will help determine the problem.

Fyrex

Fyrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Alright it seems it doesent even let me boot up at all now.
I just tried turning it on for the first time after my post, it started up ok, as soon as i did anything (i opened up ventrilo) I got a blue screen.
"STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC00000005, 0x8185c534, 0x9548799C, 0x0000000)"
And when I tried starting up right after, nothing happens. The power goes on, but it doesent boot up.

Also I noticed when it DOES boot up, at the first screen where you can go into BIOS settings, it says something about Floppy Drives not working, and I have to press F1 to continue.. which I havent seen before.

Curryjl

Curryjl

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
You did place the battery back in the pc correct? And did you reload the bios settings back to factory default? Also have you been able to boot up into safe mode? If so run all your virus scans during this time period..Still looking up those codes not having a whole lot of luck :)

Fyrex

Fyrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I reset the CMOS and it didnt help.. it actually freezes in BIOS now. I'm not sure what to do. I noticed that the ram voltage was down to 1.85 when I manually set it to 2.2v (which is where it should be) and that was before i reset it. I don't know why it got changed back. I cant keep it in BIOS longer than a minute.
This all happened out of nowhere. It was working great for about half a week.

Edited by Fyrex, 17 October 2007 - 09:06 PM.

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
TROUBLESHOOTING WINDOWS STOP MESSAGES

http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

0x0000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
(Click to consult the online MSDN article.)
A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn’t catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).

http://msdn2.microso...y/ms794023.aspx

Bug Check 0x8E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
The KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED bug check has a value of 0x0000008E. This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.

may help

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi Fyrex!

I'm just wondering, with all those high-quality parts you listed, what power supply are you using?

Fyrex

Fyrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Hi Fyrex!

I'm just wondering, with all those high-quality parts you listed, what power supply are you using?

HEC Zephyr 600W

Fyrex

Fyrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Any other suggestions? =/

rinconjoe

rinconjoe

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
are you over clocking , the PC either processor or the memory