Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What size power supply do I need?

• Please log in to reply

jhemfl

jhemfl

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
What kind of power supply do i need for (how many watts):

CoolerMaster CM 690
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6850
Asus P5N-E SLI nForce® 650i SLI Chipset
2048MB DDR2-800 PC6400 Mushkin Xtreme w/Heat Spreader
Nvidia Geforce 8800gtx 768MB
320 GB Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M Cache

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
When it comes to PSUs it isn't just about max wattage. Other things to look at is the efficientcy rating (I don't recommend anything lower than 75% full load) and the +12v amperage is also very important when it comes to high end graphics cards.

For your system I recommend this PSU: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817371001.

It has max efficiency of 85%, 650 max watts, and a total of 57a +12v. Also you could look in to the Silverstone Olympia series or the Thermaltake Toughpower.

Curryjl

Curryjl

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
If one video card is all your using i would recommend you do about 800w to 1000w just in case you upgrade to use the scalable link interface.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Curryjl, the PSU that was suggested is already SLI-certified. Going anymore than this would be overboard, given the current specs supplied. :)

Curryjl

Curryjl

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I knew it was coming hence the fact i didn't see the above post about the already listed nice looking psu so back at ya FPVDriF6 *pow pow* :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
:) I just noticed they were a minute apart - sorry! :)

Curryjl

Curryjl

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
You just got PWND :)

jhemfl

jhemfl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
What the...? 800w? no way, I'm deciding between 600 or 650, or maybe even 550 if i can get away with it.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I don't recommend going below 650. When i put your specs into a PSU calculator it came out to a little under 500w. You never want it to be anywhere close when it comes to power. Is there something wrong with the PSU I recommended?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
800 watts is probably a little overboard, but I wouldn't go any lower than what Titan8990 has suggested.

rinconjoe

rinconjoe

• PipPip
  • 91 posts

When it comes to PSUs it isn't just about max wattage. Other things to look at is the efficientcy rating (I don't recommend anything lower than 75% full load) and the +12v amperage is also very important when it comes to high end graphics cards.

For your system I recommend this PSU: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817371001.

It has max efficiency of 85%, 650 max watts, and a total of 57a +12v. Also you could look in to the Silverstone Olympia series or the Thermaltake Toughpower.

would be fine above 600 watts that is SLI cert and stable should be ok

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Give me your budget for a PSU, since your running a GTX I wouldn't cheap out. However in the end it's your call.
James