Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Orignal Operating Systems

• Please log in to reply

SHENGTON

SHENGTON

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Are original Operating Systems like Windows XP and Windows Vista can only be installed in one computer?

If I have 2 computers do I need to buy two copies of Windows XP?

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Yes, you do. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe with a retail copy of Windows you can move it from one computer to another but with OEM it can only be installed on the computer it was orignally registered to. Either way you will need another copy of Windows to run both PCs with XP or Vista at the same time.

SHENGTON

SHENGTON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I read an article about the Volume license. Volume license can only be use up to 5 computers only while the OEM license is for only 1 computer...Am I correct?...Correct me I'm wrong...

Here's my question:

If I have an OEM license OS can I change the license to Volume license?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Volume Licence keys can be used site-wide but are commonly seen on branded computer systems where every machine goes out with the same key on it but a unique key stuck on the side/top/bottom/back of the computer.

VLKs can only be obtained from Microsoft and they issue them, therefore you cannot submit a key and have it become a VLK. Most VLK keys now do not activate through Windows Activation and must be changed to the one on the side of the case. So in essence their only real use is on pre-installation special copies found in big manufacturers where Windows doesn't need activating until the hardware is changed enough, a reactivation is needed and thus the key on the side of the case.