Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstallation Of Windows XP Problems

• Please log in to reply

Tommy745

Tommy745

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:)
My computer was at a stage where Windows would have to shut down frequently due to various errors. When I was no longer able to access the Internet uopn restarting, enough was enough.
I tried reinstalling Windows XP using the Reinstallation CD supplied by the computer manufacturer (Dell Dimension 3000).

The setup portion of the installation would frequently stall due to Windows not being able to recognize a particular file. I always chose "Skip" in order to keep the installation going. Once the installation started, I would get an error message (forget the particulars but right now the error message is irrelevant) and Windows would shut down the installation.

My daughter then apparently did a clean reinstallation. Windows XP was installed; however, I no longer have any of my previous programs or files. The screen resolution had to be set to the highest resolution (largest icons) and although Windows XP is installed, Windows XP is running extremely slow even while playing a game of solitaire.
What do I do next?????? How do I get Windows XP to run at its normal speed???? Are any of my former programs and personal files able to be recovered??? I evidently have corrupted or missing XP files; is there any software available that will allow me to return to a stage where my computer will run smoothly with all of my former programs and personal files intact????

Thanks To All Who reply,
Tommy

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Tommy745...

It sounds as though your daughter has run a destructive recovery. If that's what's happened, it would be quite difficult to recover your data. It also sounds like you need to install all the device drivers...those can be found at the Dell website if you don't have the driver disk.

Tho problems you experienced while trying to install XP are usually caused by bad RAM. You can check that by running the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool on it. Run it for about an hour...if you have more than one RAM module installed and you see a failure, you may want to run it on one module at a time. (you will have to physically remove modules to accomplish this)

wannabe1