Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

computer acting weirdly

• Please log in to reply

ninja778

ninja778

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz:
I don't know if this is the right place to post this and if it isn't, i appologize in advance. Anyway, I am trying to help a friend with his machine (Emachines T1840, Intel Celeron, 1.80ghz. with a 40gbhd) and am having problems. Recently he said that his machine started to shutoff on it's own for no reason. I checked it and it had a lot of viruses... long story short, i had to format it. The problem that he was having, and still continues, is that the computer would go through POST and then when it tried to load windows, it would go into like a standby mode where the screen shuts off, the processor fan turns off yet the power light stays on and i can still hear the HD turning along with the powersupply fan. I formatted the HD off of the machine and it still does the same thing. I have cleared the CMOS, checked the powersupply and the motherboard seems to be ok (although I am not sure if it is good to go). Whenever I did not have the HD connected, it doesn't shutdown at all. It will stay on.

any ideas what i am missing? is it the processor or something on the motherboard?
I have even tried a different HD of mine that I know is working fine and it still did the same thing.

any help is appreciated.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Will windows load in safe mode at all?

ninja778

ninja778

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
no... and since now i have formatted the HD, the problem keeps me from installing any OS on either the original or on another HD (the other one that I was trying to substitute for the original). It keeps stopping like i described and won't let me get past that point.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Firstly, I would check the CPU & system temps are OK. There might be a monitoring utility in the bios that will tell you these. It's important to eliminate this first as a possible cause though.

Next, check the RAM using memtest86 or something similar. runs in dos from a floppy disk so shouldn't be a problem to load.

I would also be inclined to run some other hardware testing DOS based utility, to check the motherboard & cache, graphics, controllers etc.

You also said you have tried 2 different hard drives but have you changed the ribbon cables as well?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
As an after thought, I would also load fail-dafe or default settings in the bios but remember to disables the boot sector virus protection in the bios before installing the OS