Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook 2002

• Please log in to reply

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I have a windows 2003 domain enviorment. The clients use outlook 2002. Right now we have a global address list, seems to be created from Active Directory.

Is there a way to have more than one Global Address list? I want a list of addresses that everyone in the compnay can look at.
Whats the best way to do that?

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
So I went into Active Directory, made an OU and added the non-domain users as contacts. Now Im trying to find out how do I get those contacts in a list that the users can see. Thats where I am stuck, any help would be great.

Thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
when they're in outlook...if they click the "to" button....then change the "show names from" to show "all contacts" it will show those "non domain" contacts that you created

since contacts ARE NOT users on your domain...they won't show up in the GAL as users...only contacts

if that's too complex for your users...there's a roundabout way to actually get it to work (but it will take a while if you've got a large list)

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
My boss wants one list of our internal users, one list of the foreign users, one list of them all combined (global list, for this one)

I went into my exchange management and created new lists in there but they dont show up in my outlook. I cant use all contacts becuase there are other contacts that they dont want in that list.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
:)

what's the point of having a list of each seperate group...if you're gonna have a list that's got all of them in it?

what's the final desired outcome....

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Haha, I know it sounds counter-productive. But there are two very powerful people who wants these lists. One wants individual lists, the other is ok with using the global list with everybody.

Unfortunately I am in the middle of making both happy. So thats why I am trying to add another global list with just the foreign users.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well..you can create multiple global lists...but i've never done it...and you've got to figure out what to put in the "search base"...which might get complex

what I WOULD DO if i was you (but if you were me..then i'd be you and i'd use YOUR body to get to the top of the mountain...you can't stop me no matter who you are!!) would be to show the big shot's what exchange is ACTUALLY capable of (i.e. allowing the users to select the target list of contacts) to choose from...and for any of those contacts that they don't want visible in the list...click that "hide from address list" on the contact account's properties

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Ha, my body would never make that climb, hahahah :)

Here is what I figured out, Im going to keep everyone in the GAL. I was able in exchange to create a new list under All Address Lists section. I just needed to wait for it to update to the users. So I will create the two lists, keep the GAL and call it a day.

Thanks for the help :)

(you think my body can climb, hahahah)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
...it was an ace ventura reference :)

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K