Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Only the fan come on.....

• Please log in to reply

NikkiM

NikkiM

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Have a Compaq SR2020DX. Was upgrading the RAM.

1. Unplugged everything
2. Tried to make sure I was carrying no static electricity by touching metal grounded objects....ok..settled for filing cabinet.... :)
3. Opened side of case
4. Laid down on side on top of styrafoam support that came in box with computer - that is what the comp sites on everyday in a room with berber carpet
5. Took out old RAM....put in new...made sure was clipped down

Old: 512MB of 240 pin, DDR2, SDRAM New: Crucial 2*1GB 240 pin DDR2

6. Set comp back upright....
7. It tips over and off the styrafoam.....about 3.5" drop to the side...
8. Sit it back upright.....put side cover back on...plug everyone back in....

9. And now only the Fan comes on....the DVD/CD player/writer light comes on and door opens...but computer does not boot up, monitor does not come on, and no keyboard lights!!!!

10. Did open back up to make sure everyone was still connected but maybe I missed some thing???

It would be great if we could figure this out before DH gets home!!!! :)

THANKS!!!

Sorry....to rushed to spell check.....

Edit: Added 10

Edited by NikkiM, 17 October 2007 - 01:36 PM.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
well have you tried taking the new memory out and but the old back in?

NikkiM

NikkiM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
no....b/c that would require common sense and in my state of mind that is not present right about now....trying that now....

NikkiM

NikkiM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
put in old RAM and get intermittenent beeps....like

BEEEEP............................................BEEEP....

same length and tone.

Thoughts?

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
well do you have a seperate video card? One that can be taken out or is it built into the motherboard? If it's a card you could try removing and reseating that to see if it's not getting a good connection. Another thing to check to see would be to pull all the memory and see if the beeps change .... the computer won't boot without memory but it may beep..... You could also try unplugging everything except the memory and the video ( including all the drives ) and see if you get anything... confirm something for me too.... your old memory is 512.... is it one 512 or 2 x256? If just one try it in a different slot as well.. if it is 2 x 256 then try just one first one slot then another....

NikkiM

NikkiM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
well do you have a seperate video card? One that can be taken out or is it built into the motherboard?
I know I sound like a clueless nit wit hear....but I honestely do not know. I googled video card to look at some images and it appears the video card would be where my monitor plugs in - if so then no - mine is built into the motherboard because there is nothing there. And the computer info sheet says for Video Graphics: integrated graphics

Another thing to check to see would be to pull all the memory and see if the beeps change .... the computer won't boot without memory but it may beep.....
I did this and like you said it did not boot - but it did beep - and it is the same exact beeps as before - no change in tone, frequency, or length.

You could also try unplugging everything except the memory and the video ( including all the drives ) and see if you get anything...
Attempted to do this but didn't know exactly what to unplug - can I just unplug the white translucent connector for the DVD/CD drive? And for the hard drive there is also a translucent connector and red thick wire that connects it to my hard drive....should I unplg that one also?

confirm something for me too.... your old memory is 512.... is it one 512 or 2 x256? If just one try it in a different slot as well.. if it is 2 x 256 then try just one first one slot then another....
You are right - the memory is 2x256. I did try one at a time and then switched but still got the same beeps. Also tried it with the new memory 1 at a time since it is 2 x1GB

NEW NOTES AND OBSERVATIONS:
1. I have been removing the power cable - but now everytime I plug it back in the computer starts even before I push the power button. Even if i hold the power button down and power it off and then remove the cable ...as soon as I plug it back in it starts up on its own

2. My hard drive is actually starting it seems like. Not only do I hear it, especially when I power off - I can hear the drive slowing to a stop, but I can also feel it if that makes sense?

3. I do realize that earlier I might not have been pushing the RAM down in hard enough...although I now I am truly confident it is in all the way and the clips latch on to the sides.

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
This will help you with the beep codes you were getting.

http://www.pchell.co...beepcodes.shtml

Also double check to make sure that your new ram sticks are compatible with your system.

I like to use Crucial.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
When I said unplug everything i meant to unplug all the cables that go to the drives... Both the data cable ( usually a gray flat cable but not always and then the connector comming from the power supply.... unfortunately it sounds like for what ever reason it is not recognizing the memory.... As said above you should double check that the memory is compatible... Since you have built in video the most likely culprit for beeps like that is memory or possible the keyboard....