Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

VGA Recommendations Please!

• Please log in to reply

Mike11418

Mike11418

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hey guys, first off I just want to say/ask am I posting too many questions? I don't want to flood the forum with my questions..........in any case I might as well ask this question... I'm on a pretty tight budget (preferably around 800 but it seems like I gotta stretch to 1000). In anyway case I was wondering what your recommendations are for a VGA for me. I'm not an extreme gamer but do like various games like Age of Empires, Civilization, Bioshock. So should I spend all the money on high end VGAs or can i get away with a avg VGA? What are your recommendations?

Thanks

Advertisements

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
If you are an "extreme gamer" and are going to play Crysis then I highly recommend the 8800GTX. Crysis has set a new benchmark for gaming and man is it high.

Recommended System Requirements

* OS – Windows XP / Vista
* Processor – Intel Core 2 DUO @ 2.2GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
* Memory – 2.0 GB RAM
* GPU – NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS/640 or similar

As you can see they recommend at least an 8800 GTS 640MB but you usually want to be above this like one notch up. This would be the 8800GTX.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I just wanted to clear something up real quick. VGA stand for Video Graphics Array. It is the name of the analog connection from your GPU to your monitor. A GPU or Graphics Processing Unit is what you are looking purchase.

Also VGA is analog and you will be using DVI if you are wanting to game at your full potential. LCD monitor sometimes look a bit off using the standard VGA connection.

Edited by Titan8990, 17 October 2007 - 07:26 PM.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
I think the term is interchangeable sometimes though. When I read VGA or GPU I instantly think video card. But some good info to keep in mind though.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Yes, I have heard the term used loosely as well. I think that it can cause confusion.

Mike11418

Mike11418

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
hey sorry about the wrong use of VGA (still learning bare with me! :) ) Well I'm not a big FPS on PC platforms so I'm not gonna play Crysis. Bioshock is even a maybe. I was thinking of getting the ATI X1950PRO. Will this be able to handle games more towards RTS and turn based strategy games on current and future (as i said before big fan of Age of EMpires and Civilization)???????? As far as other genres I have a PS3 that covers those :) Anyway guys thanks again for all this help!

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
No need to apologize I was just assisting in your learning :). It sounds like the x1950pro will fit your needs for right now but it may stuggle with newer games. Typically RTS and most RPG games are not even close to being as demanding as FPS games.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
If you are a big RTS fan and not a big first person shooter fan then you would probibly like World in Conflict that just came out. It is Very similar to an RTS except it is RTT. WiC is a DirectX 10 game so the x1950pro will not be able to play it in full form because it is DirectX 9. The lowest DirectX 10 card I can recommend is the Radeon HD X2900 PRO for around $280 USD.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
He doesn't appear to have Vista or atleast it is not listed under his name. I checked on the recommended system requirements and they are not that hefty. I still recommend the X1950pro.

Edited by Titan8990, 18 October 2007 - 11:57 AM.

Mike11418

Mike11418

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Yeah Titan you are correct but I am planning to buy Vista as well when i get all the funds for the comp. (in a few weeks). But when it comes to budget the 1950PRO is the best bet for me. I can always upgrade later. Thanks again for all the advice guys

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Power supplies are often overlooked when upgrading a video card. Double check the spec of your power supply before purchasing the upgrade.