Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Suse Wireless Network Problem

• Please log in to reply

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I recently with a lot of effort installed my Cyber Station wireless card (never heard of them) with ndiswrapper and it works fine except for one part, it doesn't connect. It detects networks including mine but when I try to connect, a bubble appears, like the windows reminder bubbles, and it has a percentage of completion which stays on 57 for 2 or 3 minutes and then it goes back to the screen that asks me for the WEP. Am I supposed to do anything else here? I'm new to linux so please bare with me.

Soorena

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
I'm afraid that even an Ndiswrapper doesn't work with every card. Do you have any clue which chipset it uses? I couldn't find any reference to it.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Well I'm guessing that since it picks up networks its probably installed right, but just not configured the right way. Is there a guide that shows you how to set up a wireless network card, like one thats supported so I can copy the steps and just change the names? Because I used the Suse wiki to install by network card but I don know whether I should type in anything for Encryption during the Network Card setup phase or what option(s) to choose.

Soorena

EDIT: Will there be anything mentioned on the card about the chipset?

Edited by SOORENA, 18 October 2007 - 04:58 PM.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
I finally got 10.3 to install. I couldn't get the 10.2 to install. I really didn't care much for the distro so it didn't last long on my machine.

Everything about configuration Is handled in Yast. Hardware,system,software and network. There should be a network section where you set up the SSID and Network Key. In most the distros I've used once you set up the connection in the Network Manager it usually works fine after that.

If the chipset isn't listed on the card or in the spec sheet you should be able to search the driver name that you used for the Ndiswrapper.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I don't know why its acting this way because it seems to detect the networks and I know that there is nothing wrong with the Network Card. I tried many times to connect to my network which is called Soorena and I give my password but when its loading it just reaches 100% and asks me for the password again and then the whole thing all over again, like an endless loop. I don't know what option my password should be under, Here are the options:

Encryption -------> WEP Passphrase
WEP 40/104-bit HEX
WEP 40/104-bit ASCII

Advanced Settings:
Authentication------->Open System
Shared Key

and here is a screen shot of my Network Device Settings:

Posted Image

what should I write in those spaces?

Soorena

EDIT: I wrote Soorena in the ESSID by the way.

Edited by SOORENA, 19 October 2007 - 03:01 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Ok, Never mind I fixed it by entering my Mac address, channel, and bit rate in the configuration. Phew what a relief, if anyone has any questions on how I did this please feel free to ask because I know how hard it is.

Thanks for all your help

Soorena